Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by pivotgrind <pi...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/26 18:07:07 UTC

tcp/ip compression

is there any plan to include tcp/ip compression in subversion?  (like in cvs)

looks like a promising project, I am very interested in seeing the security authorization feature.  keep up the good work.

-Isaac

Re: tcp/ip compression

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
"pivotgrind" <pi...@hotmail.com> writes:

> thanks for the fast reply...  i guess what i meant was tcp/ip compression in
> the sense that cvs uses it.  (basically the -z # option).  it sounds like
> svn will be just as capable.
>
> another question, are you still planning on implementing the security
> features outlined in the design doc?
>
> thanks again.
> -Isaac
>
> Authorization
> By authorization, we mean answering the question:
>
>   "Is user X allowed to perform action Y on data Z?"
>
> The Subversion filesystem provides a single interface for answering this
> question.

Sorry, that part of the design doc is waaaaay old.  We use apache to
do authentication, but *authorization* is a different story.

For now, you need to use apache's <Location> directives (in
httpd.conf) to restrict what certain users can and cannot do in the
repository.  You can also use pre-commit hook scripts to do the same,
with much finer granularity.  But this all has to be done in a
home-made way.

Someday after 1.0, we're thinking about putting real ACLs into the
repository filesystem, provided our heads don't explode while thinking
about it.

Re: tcp/ip compression

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"pivotgrind" <pi...@hotmail.com> writes:
> another question, are you still planning on implementing the security
> features outlined in the design doc?

Probably not in the way described in that doc; we're depending on
Apache for a lot more now.  (Sorry not to provide more details;
they're out there, just don't have time to hunt down the exact notes
and source files right now.)

Yes the docs should be updated :-).  Right we're concentrating on
Alpha code fixes, though.

Re: tcp/ip compression

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Re: tcp/ip compression