Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "John T. Yocum" <jt...@publicmx.com> on 2005/07/24 23:42:09 UTC

ALL_TRUSTED appearing on spam

Hello,

I've recently noticed that a lot of spam is getting through SpamAssassin,
and it's getting the ALL_TRUSTED test listed on it. The issue with that
is, I only have one IP trusted, and that's my own mail server.

<snip from local.cf>
# Trusted Networks
trusted_networks 69.25.118.171
</snip>

As you can see in the below set of headers the message came from
218.222.75.209. Yet, it's trusted.

From: "Fortifies T. Noon" <jk...@guadalupano.com>
To: Fawyland <RE...@publicmx.com>
Subject: Petite 18yo Teen Stripping
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:38:57 -0700

I have tried sending a test message from another host to the mail server,
and everything seems fine. As headers show below.

Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:35:21 -0700
From: "John T. Yocum" <REMOVEDfluidhosting.com>
To: REMOVED@publicmx.com
Subject: test

My current setup is, SpamAssassin 3.0.4 integrated with Sendmail using
SpamAssasin-Milter 0.3.

Any ideas why other hosts getting trusted, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Re: ALL_TRUSTED appearing on spam

Posted by "John T. Yocum" <jt...@publicmx.com>.
Fixed the problem. Looks like the howto I followed for setting up
spamass-milter was wrong. After redoing my sendmail config for it, all is
well.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

--John

Posted by "John T. Yocum" <jt...@publicmx.com>.

Posted by "John T. Yocum" <jt...@publicmx.com>.
Thanks for the info.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
John T. Yocum wrote:
> Thanks. I tried adding the /32 to the end, but that didn't have an effect.
> I did run the headers through spamassassin -D and got the following.
>
> debug: received-header: unknown format: from U075209.ppp.dion.ne.jp
> (U075209.ppp.dion.ne.jp
> debug: metadata: X-Spam-Relays-Trusted:
> debug: metadata: X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted:
>
> Thus, it was tagged as ALL_TRUSTED.
>
> What is really odd, is this only happens to direct delivered mail, any
> message relayed via another host, doesn't get the ALL_TRUSTED flag.

Well, that much makes sense. SA can't parse the Received: headers your server
generates, but it can parse ones generated by outside servers. Thus, outside
mail with another relay will show up as having been through an untrusted host.

The problem you need to track down is why can't SA parse your Received: headers.

Based on the debug output you got it could be an issue with line-wrap formating.

At casual glance, the headers you quoted look correct, but it's impossible to
tell if they're really correct because they've been copy-pasted into an email
message which adds line wraps.

To check that, you need to look at a set of pristine message headers, not a

Posted by "John T. Yocum" <jt...@publicmx.com>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.

Posted by "John T. Yocum" <jt...@publicmx.com>.
OK. I added the internal_networks setting listing my only MX (It's not
trusted, as it's used by many other users, and isn't under my control.)

<snip>
# Trusted Networks
trusted_networks        69.25.118.171

# Internal Networks
internal_networks       207.234.226.49
</snip>

OK. So the trusted_networks line, specifies my mail server IP.(Machine
running SA.) And, internal_networks has my third-party operated MX.

Now, regardless of what I set trusted_networks to, SA sets ALL_TRUSTED to
direct delivered spam, or mail.

I think this is part of it's design though. My mail host is a webmail box,
thus nobody relays through it, except itself. Thus, it shouldn't trust any
hosts other than itself.

Now, it doesn't set ALL_TRUSTED from spam, or any e-mail which is relayed
via another host. It's only for direct delivered mail.

Thanks,
John

Posted by Ronny Nussbaum <ro...@gmail.com>.