Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2005/04/02 21:58:26 UTC

simple-conf branch

Please take a look at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/simple-conf/docs/conf/

This is my long-threatened project to massively simplify the basic
httpd.conf by splitting a bunch of stuff out into smaller files in the
extra/ directory that are not included by default.  I believe this makes
the whole thing *much* simpler to understand for a newcomer.  I've already
brough it down to about 60% of its original size, and I think we can do
better.

If you have major problems with this concept, please speak now.

If you have suggestions for the implementation, speak up or just commit
away on the branch.

Here are some things I would like to see done on this branch.  Feel free
to jump in.

1. Fix "make install" to deal with the extra/ directory.  Probably need to
change the name of all those config files to add "-std".  (I suggest
making another directory called "standard" or "as-installed" or something
to put the pristine copies of all the config files.)

2. Various tweaks on comments/ordering/etc to make things clearer.  I
believe the main httpd.conf can still be paired down a little more.

3. Move the documentation-related stuff into extra/.  This requires more
discussion, so I left it for now.

4. Make code changes to bring the "not in config file" defaults in line
with the stuff in httpd.conf, and to make the default configuration
overall less dangerous.  For example:
   - Making UserDir disabled the default as discussed before.
   - Fixing the SSLRandomSeed defaults so that these directives don't need
     to be in the config.  (See the bottom of httpd-std.conf.in.)

5. Add more stuff to extra/, such as examples for mod_dav, mod_proxy,
mod_cache, etc.

Joshua.

Re: simple-conf branch

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 4, 2005 2:33 PM, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> --On Monday, April 4, 2005 1:21 PM -0400 Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > fairly common to have two web server instances using same ServerRoot;
> > that's another case to use LockFile, so that difference instances use
> > different lock...  no big deal with fcntl, big deal with flock...
>
> I ended up not touching LockFile/ScoreboardFile in r160063.  I'm just not
> wild about having huge swaths of commented-out directives in the httpd.conf
> if we intend for it to be simple.  =)  -- justin

About ScoreBoardFile...  That is *ONLY* needed if there is some
third-party application installed which has to be able to generate the
token to access the memory.  Correct?  So nobody needs to know about
the directive unless they've installed somebody else's software and
presumably read the documentation for that application?  Maybe
ScoreboardFile can remain completely invisible to the masses.

Re: simple-conf branch

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: simple-conf branch

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: simple-conf branch

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Do we really need LockFile, ScoreBoardFile?

LockFile is needed if people put ServerRoot on NFS, I guess.  But
perhaps just a comment to that effect would suffice.

> Do we really need PidFile?  The MPMs default to:
>
> #define DEFAULT_PIDLOG DEFAULT_REL_RUNTIMEDIR "/httpd.pid"
>
> Which is the same.  So, I'd toss PidFile in to httpd-default.conf.

Perhaps put it in extra/httpd-mpm.conf.

> Same goes for Timeout and KeppAliveTimeout as DEFAULT_TIMEOUT is 300 and
> DEFAULT_KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT is 15.  Ditto for MaxKeepAliveRequests and
> KeepAliveTimeout.
>
> AccessFileName defaults to DEFAULT_ACCESS_FNAME anyway.
>
> I wouldn't have ServerTokens and/or ServerSignature in the default
> httpd.conf.  They can read docs for that.  =)  (Perhaps being in
> httpd-default.conf.in is fine though - not sure.)

I'm slightly concerned that removing ServerTokens/ServerSignature will
result in more users@httpd traffic.  It is already a semi-FAQ.  But I'm
willing to try it.

Other than that, +1 on all those changes.

Joshua.

Re: simple-conf branch

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Saturday, April 2, 2005 2:58 PM -0500 Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>
wrote:

> If you have suggestions for the implementation, speak up or just commit
> away on the branch.

Thanks for taking this on.

> Here are some things I would like to see done on this branch.  Feel free
> to jump in.
>
> 1. Fix "make install" to deal with the extra/ directory.  Probably need
> to change the name of all those config files to add "-std".  (I suggest
> making another directory called "standard" or "as-installed" or something
> to put the pristine copies of all the config files.)
>
> 2. Various tweaks on comments/ordering/etc to make things clearer.  I
> believe the main httpd.conf can still be paired down a little more.

Some thoughts on what else we could trim.  In fact, most of my comments
could move to a 'httpd-default.conf' that represent what our hard-coded
defaults are.

Do we really need LockFile, ScoreBoardFile?

Do we really need PidFile?  The MPMs default to:

#define DEFAULT_PIDLOG DEFAULT_REL_RUNTIMEDIR "/httpd.pid"

Which is the same.  So, I'd toss PidFile in to httpd-default.conf.

Same goes for Timeout and KeppAliveTimeout as DEFAULT_TIMEOUT is 300 and
DEFAULT_KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT is 15.  Ditto for MaxKeepAliveRequests and
KeepAliveTimeout.

AccessFileName defaults to DEFAULT_ACCESS_FNAME anyway.

I wouldn't have ServerTokens and/or ServerSignature in the default
httpd.conf.  They can read docs for that.  =)  (Perhaps being in
httpd-default.conf.in is fine though - not sure.)

If these changes look fine to folks here, I can make these changes on the
branch.  -- justin

Re: simple-conf branch

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 02:58:26PM -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Please take a look at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/simple-conf/docs/conf/
>
> This is my long-threatened project to massively simplify the basic
> httpd.conf by splitting a bunch of stuff out into smaller files in the
> extra/ directory that are not included by default.

As long as the default is a single file, then I'm cool with this. The key
here is that the "gazillion little .conf files" are *not* included in the
default .conf file. That would be a pain because changes could involve one
or more of N separate files.

So: given that... I'm very supportive of a smaller default file.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/