Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Becky Gibson <gi...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/17 20:36:43 UTC

Changes to File API

I was running the mobile-spec after Shaz completed and checked in the iOS
name change (THANKS, Shaz!) and found that several file tests fail. The
issue is the name change of the <Entry>.toURI() api to <Entry>.toURL().
Checking on the W3C File API: Directories and Systems spec. this API was
indeed renamed from the October, 2010, version of the spec that we
implemented to the April and May, 2011 versions.   The FileError codes have
also been reassigned - although that has not been updated in the unified-js
implementation.

Other than the API name change and FileError code reassignments, I don't
see major changes in the specification.  However, this will certainly break
existing apps and I question making that change.   I realize it has to be
made sooner or later, but it might be best to wait for the api to be
finalized.   If we are going to make this api change, then we should
probably also make the FileError changes to be consistent.  And update the
docs and make sure this is well documented.

my two cents,
-becky

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
I'd like us to keep drawing our attention to that world 'everything is
a plugin'. That said, having tagged versions that target specific api
releases would be the way to go.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.
Yah I think that makes sense. We can even remove the old one when we hit a
major release.

-dave

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
Okay, here is the updated commit.

https://github.com/macdonst/callback-js/commit/bd36b200f61754e15467cb3617738f410018f451

If I don't get any objections I will push it up after my next meeting.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Drew Walters <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Becky Gibson <gi...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it isn't a huge change but could be a gotcha for many folks. Also, the
new toURL() API no longer takes the mimetype parameter.  So we need to
modify the entry.js one way or another.

-b

Re: Changes to File API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.