Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de> on 2001/09/27 16:17:19 UTC

[C2]: Documentation System

Hi Team,

for the final release of C2 we should take some time and
update the documentation.
Several weeks ago, Berin made a very good proposal
for outlining the documentation
(see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99831665304443&w=2).

I think as we developed Cocoon we should also use
Cocoon to build the documentation!

The Avalon project shows how to do this. Now, I
just started to adapt the Avalon documentation
build system to ours. Making it really working
well and maintainable will be a more complex
effort than I thought it is.
So before I go any further, we should
vote on this topic.

So lets vote if we still should use stylebook
or we should "update" to Cocoon for docs
generation. Please note that this question
has nothing to do with the question of
the format the docs are written in!
That's a separate task!

Although it's a lot of work my vote:
+1 on using cocoon

Carsten

RE: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Giacomo is right.

Vadim

Re: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> for the final release of C2 we should take some time and
> update the documentation.
> Several weeks ago, Berin made a very good proposal
> for outlining the documentation
> (see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99831665304443&w=2).
>
> I think as we developed Cocoon we should also use
> Cocoon to build the documentation!
>
> The Avalon project shows how to do this. Now, I
> just started to adapt the Avalon documentation
> build system to ours. Making it really working
> well and maintainable will be a more complex
> effort than I thought it is.
> So before I go any further, we should
> vote on this topic.
>
> So lets vote if we still should use stylebook
> or we should "update" to Cocoon for docs
> generation. Please note that this question
> has nothing to do with the question of
> the format the docs are written in!
> That's a separate task!
>
> Although it's a lot of work my vote:
> +1 on using cocoon

+1 from Me!

Learning Cocoon is a difficult task in itself.  You
will find that once the environment is set up, it is
easy to maintain.  The problem is getting it set up.

AW: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Currently we use the Apache DTD; all xdocs are written using this,
so this should be the one to use.

But I think we will sooner or later switch to another one,
which will be properly docbook.

carsten

Re: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it>.

AW: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it>.

Re: AW: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote
> >
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Team,
> > >
> > > for the final release of C2 we should take some time and
> > > update the documentation.
> > > Several weeks ago, Berin made a very good proposal
> > > for outlining the documentation
> > > (see
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99831665304443&w=2).
> > >
> > > I think as we developed Cocoon we should also use
> > > Cocoon to build the documentation!
> > >
> > > The Avalon project shows how to do this. Now, I
> > > just started to adapt the Avalon documentation
> > > build system to ours. Making it really working
> > > well and maintainable will be a more complex
> > > effort than I thought it is.
> > > So before I go any further, we should
> > > vote on this topic.
> > >
> > > So lets vote if we still should use stylebook
> > > or we should "update" to Cocoon for docs
> > > generation. Please note that this question
> > > has nothing to do with the question of
> > > the format the docs are written in!
> > > That's a separate task!
> > >
> > > Although it's a lot of work my vote:
> > > +1 on using cocoon
> >
> > Definately, this is exactly what I was going to do when I finish up the
> > image gallery stuff, but if you want to go start and lead the way, I'll
> > be even happier :)
> >
> Hmmm, when is your image gallery stuff finished? :-)

Touche' :)

> No seriously, the documentation is currently building well, but it's need
> some work for the images of the navigation bar. I hope I can
> finish a quick and little bit dirty version by monday.

I'm going to tackle the problem from a wider angle in order to provide
the best way to perform aggregation in order to come up with a good
book-like PDF and perform pagination on HTML (which is 98% done for the
image library and totally reusable on everything else).

This week I had some work to do (yes, people, now I have work to do as
well :) so didn't have time to dedicate to OSS, but this has now changed
(hopefully).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

AW: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: entity resolution for Documentation build - almost

Posted by Michael McKibben <mm...@ncube.com>.
I think there is some general confusion on how 'file' URLs should be
constructed. RFC 1738 describes the format explicitly as:

fileurl        = "file://" [ host | "localhost" ] "/" fpath

So, "/usr/local/cocoon2" should be written as

file:///usr/local/cocoon2 (Unix)
file:///c:/usr/local/cocoon2 (Windows)

Notice the '///'. This is because the host part of the URL is null. I
could have written the URL as

file://localhost/usr/local/cocoon2 (Unix)
file://localhost/c:/usr/local/cocoon2 (Windows)

and this would have worked also. Interestingly, with JDK1.3

new File("/usr/local/cocoon2").toURL().toString() (Unix)
new File("c:/usr/local/cocoon2").toURL().toString() (Windows)

returns

'file:/usr/local/cocoon2' (Unix)
'file:/c:/usr/local/cocoon2' (Windows)

in apparent violation of the RFC! So now we have three equivalent ways to
specify a file URL in Java:

On Unix:
file:///usr/local/cocoon2
file://localhost/usr/local/cocoon2
file:/usr/local/cocoon2

On Windows:
file:///c:/usr/local/cocoon2
file://localhost/c:/usr/local/cocoon2
file:/c:/usr/local/cocoon2

Notice the file path must be absolute (which is why on Windows the drive
specification must be specified.)

Regards,

--mike

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
I have discovered the cause of my problem with getting
"build docs" to work properly with the entity resolver.
Remember that it fails for me (but is OK for others) with
"Failed to create InputSource: file://usr/local/.......", and we
supsect the // to be a problem. I also noticed a strange
pathname for loading the catalog file with a "./" in the middle
of it. So i supected a bad path for the "contextDir" argument.

Sure enough, if i hard-code the full pathname into build.xml
-  <arg value="-c."/>
+  <arg value="-c/usr/local/cvs/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/documentation"/>
then the "build docs" works properly, and i finally see the
"catalog-test.html" with the ISOnum entity set being
resolved using the catalog. Hooray ... but why?

--David

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 Carsten wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> sorry I can't reproduce this here. Running under Windows2k
> everything is working fine and I always get file:/ urls.
> So, if someone with linux can have a look at it?
>
> Carstem

-------
Platform is ...
Linux RedHat 7.1
Blackdown j2sdk-1.3.1
-------

Re: entity resolution for Documentation build - almost

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
I have not heard any compliants that their "build docs"
crashed since we added xdocs/catalog-test.xml
So i presume that everyone's system works but mine.
Perhaps it is my JVM - i will go to get another.
--David

AW: entity resolution for Documentation build - almost

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
David,

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
I have started adding to the "newdocs" target of build.xml
to copy the entities and system catalog to the build space.
This does work and the entity resolver swings into action.

However, i get a strange failure when i declare an external
entity in my xdocs. The only difference that i can spot is that
the system identifier ends up starting with "file://" using the
command-line cocoon-based build of "newdocs". Yet when
using the servlet context (e.g. via cocoon samples) the system
identifier ends up starting with "file:/" (and all is OK with the
processing).

The second double slash in the URL is from the getRealPath()
method. This also does not happen via the servlet context.
Instead there is a proper single slash.

Here is the log snippet ...
-----------------
DEBUG   10019   [        ] (): SAXParser:
file:/usr/local/cvs/xml-cocoon2/lib/xerces_1_4_3.jar

Resolved public: ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Numeric and Special Graphic//EN//XML
file://usr/local/cvs/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/documentation//resources/entities/ISOnum.pen

Failed to create InputSource:
file://usr/local/cvs/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/documentation//resources/entities/ISOnum.pen

DEBUG   10019   [        ] (): ComponentFactory decommissioning
instance of org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.JaxpParser.
-----------------

AW: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
I like to answer my own mails....

A first version of the documentation system is finished.
It generates all documents including the images for the
labels and headers.
The only thing currently missing is the "site" target,
which means for generating the documentation for the
web-site, a different book is used as there are some
other links available in the navigation bar.

Please, have a look at it and decide if we could switch.

Carsten

AW: [C2]: Documentation System

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi Team,