Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by gjj391 <gj...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/14 06:36:59 UTC

server.xml configuration

I seem to have a bit of a issue when installing railo in tomcat. Hoping
someone here has seen this. This is alot more about tomcat than it is railo
though.

I have deployed railo as a war file through the tomcat manager. I am using
mod_jk to bypass apache and have tomcat serve everything.

you can see here:   www.gj-dev.com www.gj-dev.com   that it successfully
works. But when I add a sub directory to the railo directory things start
breaking. Please see here  www.gj-dev.com/test/test.cfm
www.gj-dev.com/test/test.cfm  It is as if the railo classes are not being
invoked.

My code in server.xml that is having this domain pointed straight to the
railo directory is as follows:
 <Host appBase="webapps/railo" name="gj-dev.com">
          <Alias>www.gj-dev.com</Alias>
          <Context path="" docBase=""/>
  </Host>

My directory structure is from tomcat is

tomcat/
   webapps/
       railo/
          index.cfm
          WEB-INF
          test/
               test.cfm

Re: server.xml configuration

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: gjj391 [mailto:gjj391@gmail.com]
[...]
> I am using mod_jk to bypass apache and have tomcat serve everything.
>
> Then why bother with httpd at all?

Hey ! I patented that line.

RE: server.xml configuration

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: gjj391 [mailto:gjj391@gmail.com]
> Subject: server.xml configuration
>
> I seem to have a bit of a issue when installing railo in
> tomcat.

Don't suppose you'd care to tell us which version of Tomcat?

I am using mod_jk to bypass apache and have tomcat serve everything.

Then why bother with httpd at all?

>  <Host appBase="webapps/railo" name="gj-dev.com">
>           <Alias>www.gj-dev.com</Alias>
>           <Context path="" docBase=""/>
>   </Host>

The above is illegal on any Tomcat level: a webapp's docBase must never be the same as the <Host> appBase.  If you're running on any reasonably recent version of Tomcat, you should not be putting any <Context> elements in server.xml; they belong in each webapp's META-INF/context.xml file.  Also, to specify the default webapp, name it ROOT (case sensitive).  Your config should look like this:

  <Host appBase="webapps" name="gj-dev.com">
    <Alias>www.gj-dev.com</Alias>
  </Host>

(You may want to put back the unpackWARs, xmlValidation, and xmlNamespaceAware attributes.)  The defaultHost attribute for the surrounding <Engine> must point to a valid <Host>; does it?  BTW, if you have only one <Host> element, there's no need to change the name from localhost or add any aliases.

Your file structure should be this:

  tomcat/
    webapps/
      ROOT/
        index.cfm
        WEB-INF
          test/
            test.cfm

Since you don't have any useful attributes for the <Context> element, you don't need one.

 - Chuck