Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2001/03/29 18:59:20 UTC

APR as a shared library?

Are we doing this yet?  If not can we add it to the list for the hackathon?

david

Re: APR as a shared library?

Posted by Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lk...@samba-tng.org>.
ah!  greg, hi!  libmm - fascinating.

just the sort of thing that elrond, sander and i wanted to wrap with sms
(smart/stackable memory system).  thanks.

would you be happy with a memory-management API that DSOs memory
modules?  and is stackable?

so, if you run into portability issues one particular OS that _really_
can't do libmm, you can decide at runtime to use another approach?

apr_sms_memsys_t *m;
apr_status_t s = apr_sms_create("sms-libmm", &m);

if (s != OK)
	/* whoops, no sms libmm available */
	s = apr_sms_create(NULL, &m); /* get a standard malloc/free-er

issue on APR - is it namespace clean, yet? does _everything_ start with
apr_xxx..?

allbest,

luke

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> For Subversion, we want this, too. We've actually run into problems lately
> because APR doesn't respond to "make install" and install its libraries.
> Moreover, it doesn't install its embedded libmm library, either.
>
> One of the topics at the Hackathon is shared memory. I'd be happy to toss
> libmm so that APR's install is a bit cleaner.
>
> [ but it brings up the question of what kind of portability libmm brings to
>   the table; I recognize we don't use much of the functionality on top of
>   that, but the underlying portability work means we don't have to dup it
>   into APR. ]

 ----- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lk...@samba-tng.org> -----

"i want a world of dreams, run by near-sighted visionaries"
"good.  that's them sorted out.  now, on _this_ world..."

"the open source ethic: tell everyone what you think,
and someone is bound to tell you what you _need_ to hear..."

Re: APR as a shared library?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
For Subversion, we want this, too. We've actually run into problems lately
because APR doesn't respond to "make install" and install its libraries.
Moreover, it doesn't install its embedded libmm library, either.

One of the topics at the Hackathon is shared memory. I'd be happy to toss
libmm so that APR's install is a bit cleaner.

[ but it brings up the question of what kind of portability libmm brings to
  the table; I recognize we don't use much of the functionality on top of
  that, but the underlying portability work means we don't have to dup it
  into APR. ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: APR as a shared library?

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
OK.  We're getting a largish list aren't we? :)

david

(even managed to hit reply-all this time :))

> > Are we doing this yet?  If not can we add it to the list for the
hackathon?

> Add it to the list.  We gotta get this done.
>
> Ryan

___
> Ryan Bloom                        rbb@apache.org
> 406 29th St.