Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/04/01 19:01:16 UTC

Common base directory for staging releases

Hi,

I wanted to setup a common base directory for staging releases so
that each person doesn't have to change their setting each time they
stage, or use a -D parameter. I would just like to have a commons
base directory and then use information about the project to
construct the staging repository. How about:

http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/${project}/

Then other projects can do the same, so ours would be:

http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/maven/

And then we can just use something like this for each staging repo:

http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/maven/${artifactId}-$
{version}

Once we figure this out then we can change the profile accordingly so
that the staging just works with little or no configuration mucking.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Common base directory for staging releases

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Apr 07, at 7:08 PM 1 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> Sounds good to me.
>
> Does the stage-plugin delete the staging repo after successfully
> copying it?

No, I'm hesitant to erase it without having another stage of
verifying the contents on the other side so I left it for now.

Jason.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2 Apr 07, at 12:43 PM 2 Apr 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> that would be the same case as snapshots, and they are there too

No, they aren't. People are not expected to build against the staging
repositories. They do that with the snapshot repository, snapshots
are still generally consumable by average users.

Jason.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
makes the tooling easier too, I like it

On 4/10/07, Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds good.
>
> Stéphane
>
> On 4/1/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to setup a common base directory for staging releases so
> > that each person doesn't have to change their setting each time they
> > stage, or use a -D parameter. I would just like to have a commons
> > base directory and then use information about the project to
> > construct the staging repository. How about:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/${project}/
> >
> > Then other projects can do the same, so ours would be:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/maven/
> >
> > And then we can just use something like this for each staging repo:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/maven/${artifactId}-$
> > {version}
> >
> > Once we figure this out then we can change the profile accordingly so
> > that the staging just works with little or no configuration mucking.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason.

jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: Common base directory for staging releases

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> I wanted to setup a common base directory for staging releases so
> that each person doesn't have to change their setting each time they
> stage, or use a -D parameter. I would just like to have a commons
> base directory and then use information about the project to
> construct the staging repository. How about:
>
> http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/${project}/
>
> Then other projects can do the same, so ours would be:
>
> http://people.apache.org/staging-repositories/maven/

There is already http://people.apache.org/builds/${project}, mentioned
in the release FAQ [1] as being for nightly builds, in practice it's
also used for staging and releases that aren't put on the mirrors for
whatever reason.

And I just change <distributionManagement><release>, since I never
want anything deployed directly to the rsynced repo.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
.
--
Wendy