Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/21 11:12:39 UTC

OpenNLP 1.5.1 Release Candidate 5

Hello,

our next RC is ready for testing, compared to RC 4 it fixes
a bug in the creation of the sample UIMA PEAR package (OPENNLP-143).

It can be found here:
http://people.apache.org/~joern/releases/opennlp-1.5.1-incubating/rc5/

Testing is now mostly done, and we are ready to release soon.
See our test plan for details:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENNLP/TestPlan1.5.1

Jörn

Re: OpenNLP 1.5.1 Release Candidate 5

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 4/10/11 9:23 AM, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> Hello,
> everything worked as expected, I tested the generated models both manually
> and via the OpenNLP API.

Thanks, I will update the test plan.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
everything worked as expected, I tested the generated models both manually
and via the OpenNLP API.
Tommaso

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

would be nice if you could test again.

I also put the test result you reported into our test plan:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENNLP/TestPlan1.5.1

Please have a short look there, but it should be correct.

Thanks,
Jörn

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
One issue I found is that the opennlp.uima.Language parameter is not defined
in the trainers' descriptors causing them to fail during initialization
since the *Trainer classes need the language as a mandatory parameter (that
is good I think since the statistical model built is language dependent).
Am I right or am I missing something?
Regards,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jörn,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 3/30/11 11:38 AM, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> Hi all,
> I can help with testing the UIMA training support with annotated test data
> crawled from various websites since I'm going to do that for a college
> course I'm speaking to, so I'd be happy to help (any hints on which pieces
> need stronger tests is welcome).

Thanks, your help is really welcome. No, just train all the components
where we have training support for, and roughly check that all
the training data was passed to the trainers. This you can do e.g.
by having a look at the event count which is printed to the console.
After training is done, you should quickly test the model with our
command line tools to see that it can be loaded and produces some
meaningful output.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 29, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:

> On 3/29/11 6:03 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Overall, artifacts look good.
>>
>> From a packaging standpoint:
>>
>> * NOTICE.txt needs the JWNL copyright statement in it per the terms of BSD
>>
>> * UIMA reference should also be in the NOTICE (as should any other dependency that requires it).  Technically, since we aren't redistributing the library, I don't think need to, but I think we should for completeness.
>>
>> How come the UIMA stuff isn't in the binary?  Just curious.
> There are different ways to run OpenNLP in UIMA, one is to create the sample pear
> and start it up in the uima document analyzer, but that one is distributed with UIMA.
>
> Anyway I will fix the NOTICE file as suggested by Grant for RC 6, I hope we are then
> ready to release,

With the next candidate, you should call a vote.  We need at least 3 PPMC votes that are +1 and no -1's.  Votes from others should be taken seriously as well.  I typically treat a -1 from anyone as binding or at least warranting further investigation.  Once the PPMC vote passes, then we must ask the Incubator PMC to vote.  This is only needed while in the Incubator.

I would also recommend reading http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

-Grant

Re: OpenNLP 1.5.1 Release Candidate 5

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/11 6:03 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Overall, artifacts look good.
>
>  From a packaging standpoint:
>
> * NOTICE.txt needs the JWNL copyright statement in it per the terms of BSD
>
> * UIMA reference should also be in the NOTICE (as should any other dependency that requires it).  Technically, since we aren't redistributing the library, I don't think need to, but I think we should for completeness.
>
> How come the UIMA stuff isn't in the binary?  Just curious.
There are different ways to run OpenNLP in UIMA, one is to create the
sample pear
and start it up in the uima document analyzer, but that one is
distributed with UIMA.

Anyway I will fix the NOTICE file as suggested by Grant for RC 6, I hope
we are then
ready to release, from the testing front everything looks good, expect a
few minor tests
which should still be done. I am a little worried about the UIMA
training support, since
I do not have real test data for it, but I believe it is in a good state
(which doesn't mean it really is).
Anyway the UIMA training support was released like that before, and we
might postpone proper testing
to our next release (I know that doesn't sounds nice).

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/11 6:03 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Overall, artifacts look good.
>
>  From a packaging standpoint:
>
> * NOTICE.txt needs the JWNL copyright statement in it per the terms of BSD
>
> * UIMA reference should also be in the NOTICE (as should any other dependency that requires it).  Technically, since we aren't redistributing the library, I don't think need to, but I think we should for completeness.

Please review the updated NOTICE file, that is the corresponding jira issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-148

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Overall, artifacts look good.

From a packaging standpoint: