Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2022/02/27 00:36:23 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] establish policy for provider's support to be 12 months

Hey All,

Calling for lazy consensus on the policy for providers support for
Airflow versions. If there are no "opposition" to it - I will merge it on
Thursday.

I discussed it in
https://lists.apache.org/thread/csczm7xmnntdz9wtjbod8pqgt13zoggo and propose

The PR proposal is here: https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/21696

## Support for providers

Providers released by the community have limitation of a minimum supported
version of Airflow. The minimum version of Airflow is the `MINOR` version
(2.1, 2.2 etc.) indicating that the providers might use features that
appeared in this release. The default support timespan for the minimum
version of Airflow (there could be justified exceptions) is that we
increase the minimum Airflow version, when 12 months passed since the first
release for the MINOR version of Airflow.

For example this means that by default we upgrade the minimum version of
Airflow supported by providers to 2.2.0 in the first Provider's release
after 21st of May 2022 (21st of May 2021 is the date when the first
`PATCHLEVEL` of 2.1 (2.1.0) has been released.

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] establish policy for provider's support to be 12 months

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Seems there are no objections I will proceed to merge the PR.