Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Imbeault <mi...@sympatico.ca> on 2006/09/06 08:42:31 UTC

Doc add limit, im experiencing it too

Old issue (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg00651.html),
but I'm experiencing the same exact thing on windows xp, latest tomcat.
I noticed that the tomcat process gobbles memory (10 megs a second
maybe) and then jams at 125 megs. Can't find a fix yet. I'm using a php
interface and curl to post my xml, one document at a time, and commit
every 100 document. Indexing 30000 docs, it hangs at maybe 5000. Anyone
got an idea on this one? It would be helpful. I may try to switch to
jetty tomorrow if nothing works :(

--
Michael Imbeault
CHUL Research Center (CHUQ)

Re: Doc add limit, im experiencing it too

Posted by sangraal aiken <sa...@gmail.com>.
I sent out an email about this a while back, but basically this limit
appears only on Tomcat and only when Solr attempts to write to the response.

You can work around it by splitting up your posts so that you're posting
less than 5000 (or whatever your limit seems to be) at a time. You DO NOT
have to commit after each post. I recently indexed a 38 million document
data base with this problem and although it took about 8-9 hours it did
work... I only commited every 100,000 or so.

-Sangraal

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Old issue (see
: http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg00651.html),
: but I'm experiencing the same exact thing on windows xp, latest tomcat.

did you notice the followup thread from sangraal where he mentioned that
he'd narrowed the problem down to both using Tomcat and submitting docs
containing CDATA? ...

http://www.nabble.com/Add-doc-limit---Follow-Up-tf2186440.html#a6048436

: I noticed that the tomcat process gobbles memory (10 megs a second
: maybe) and then jams at 125 megs. Can't find a fix yet. I'm using a php
: interface and curl to post my xml, one document at a time, and commit
: every 100 document. Indexing 30000 docs, it hangs at maybe 5000. Anyone

interesting ... you may not be hitting the same problem, Sangraal
specificly said he only encountered this bug when submitting a large
number of docs in a single request -- when you say it jams at 125 what do
you mean? ... are you sure you aren't just getting an OutOfMemory error?

-Hoss