Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2019/12/02 16:35:15 UTC

[DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - December 2019

Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description
Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and
XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

1. Increase community growth and participation from outside Tresys
   (main priority)
2. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide
   extra functionality (Apache PLC4X, NiFI, and Drill are potential
   goals)
3. Establish a frequent release schedule

aware of?

- None

- Voted to add a new Committer--working to get account created and on
  boarding now.
- Daffodil talk at ApacheCon NA 2019
- Daffodil attendance at Podling SharkTank at ApacheCon NA 2019
- Daffodil talk at BarCamp at ApacheCon NA 2019
- Attended Hackathon at ApacheCon NA 2019, led to potential
  collaboration with Apache PLC4X/code generation and Apache Drill
- Discussions have continue with relative frequency on users@ and dev@
  mailing lists, which more new people popping up in discussions
- Planning to submit a talk for the DC Roadshow in March when CFP opens

- 25 commits merged from 4 different contributors
- 50 issues created, 28 issues resolved--lagging in keeping up with
  new bugs, but focus has been on bigger features rather than bug
  fixes for this release
- Nearing next release, expected in early December. Major features
  include user defined functions, support for BLOBs and files larger
  than 2GB, and fixed schema compilation performance regression with
  ultimate goal of improving schema compilation speed.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

[ ] Initial setup
[ ] Working towards first release
[X] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release:

- 2019-07-12

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- 2019-06-20 - Brandon Sloane (PPMC)

Have your mentors been helpful?

- Yes

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

- No issues

Re: [DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - December 2019

Posted by Steve Lawrence <st...@gmail.com>.
Yep, I'll update both of those when added to the report.

Posted by "Sloane, Brandon" <bs...@tresys.com>.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
I missed a new question. I'll append the following when adding the
report to the wiki:

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and
brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the
VP, Brand approved the project name?

- No known cases of a 3rd party incorrectly using the Daffodil name/brand.
- Podling name search has been completed and approved by Brand
Management Committee:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-147

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Please note a new question has been added and doesn't seem to be included in this draft report.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - December 2019