Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Mark Thornton <Ma...@gtl.com> on 2000/11/17 15:01:04 UTC

Two questions on SOAP Mappings

I've done the following:

Set up Tomcat, Apache SOAP and Xerces on my machine.
Deployed the samples, and got them working.
Constructed and deployed my first simple SOAP service (it returned the
factorial of an integer).
Constructed and deployed more complex services, e.g. to set off stored
procedures in a remote Oracle database, and return error codes (integers)
and error messages (strings).

However, I now have a problem that I'd be grateful for some help with:

I can bring back simple object, e.g. strings and ints, but I can't work out
how to bring back more complex objects, e.g. SQL resultsets or cursors.

It seems to me that I have to construct a mapping of such an object in two
places:

a) In the DeploymentDescriptor.xml file, which I use to launch the service.

b) In the SOAPMappingRegistry of the client code.

I have two questions for the group, one practical, one philosophical:

PRACTICAL:  Are there any resources available to tell me how to create these
mappings? (I think I understand (b) better than (a), but it's hard to be
sure.....)

PHILOSOPHICAL: Isn't it a bit inefficient to have to do the mapping twice?
Couldn't we publish a DTD or a schema (or some other type of reference file)
and then point the client code and the server code to that reference point?
Or is there something wrong with this idea?

Thanks in advance for all help received.

Mark

Re: Two questions on SOAP Mappings

Posted by Adam Lang <aa...@rutgersinsurance.com>.
The way I understand it (which others may digress) is that once you have one
side generating valid and well-formed XML, and the other side interpreting
it, you can drop the DTD and not have to validate.

If you want to use an external reference, use the SYSTEM keyword for
!doctype

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company