Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/07 15:16:35 UTC

Permission to implement copyrighted algorithm

In Commons Math we have developed a Java implementation of the
algorithm presented here:
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/Service/Statistics/Signed_Rank_Algorihms.html#C

The Java code could be viewed as a translation of the perl code used
to describe the algorithm.  The author provides C and perl
implementations and states that

"These programs can be used and distributed freely. (copyright 1996,
Rob van Son)"

Do we need a grant of any kind from the author or can we just
include the derivative Java code with attribution of the algorithm
in the javadoc and NOTICE.txt?

Thanks!

Phil