Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tony Sutton <To...@hypertony.co.uk> on 2004/02/05 00:14:09 UTC

$JAVA_HOME error

Hi there,

I'm new to using jakart.

I'm trying to get jakart v4.1.29 to run under Mandrake 9.1

I have downloaded and installed JRE from Sun, version 1.4.2_03. The
installation went well. Here's the output from my Linux box:

[tony@tsutton tony]$ which java
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/bin/java
[tony@tsutton tony]$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03
[tony@tsutton tony]$

OK so far.

However, I tried to start jakart by going to the  jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/bin/
directory and typed in:

sh startup.sh

I get this error message:

[tony@tsutton bin]$ sh startup.sh
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
[tony@tsutton bin]$

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have tried googling for it, but
it came back very little.

Does anyone know why I am getting this error message?

Thanks,

Tony Sutton