Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Frissaer, Jeroen" <je...@be.unisys.com> on 2002/06/27 12:49:08 UTC

RE: SocketHubAppender support in Chainsaw

Mark, I quickly tested out your modifications to Chainsaw to support
connections to the SocketHub.   Here are some issues I found when testing
locally (app and chainsaw):

When using a socket port other than 4445, everything works fine.
When using the socket port 4445 however, things will not work:

- first starting Log4J application, afterwards Chainsaw: Chainsaw gives the
error : Unable to create socket on port 4445, quitting.  Is this because by
default Chainsaw will startup listening to port 4445 that is in used by the
SocketHubAppender?  (This issue should be resolved then when using Chainsaw
remotely)
- first starting Chainsaw, afterwards Log4j application: Log4J application
gives the error:
Log4J:ERROR exception setting timeout, shutting down server socket.
java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.log4j.net.SocketHubAppender$ServerMonitor.run(SocketHubAppender.j
ava:315)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

What do you think?

Regards