Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jon Pyle <jo...@capitalradio.co.uk> on 1998/07/14 18:52:18 UTC

os-solaris/2609: exits with "Too many open files; unable to open a file descriptor above 15"

>Number:         2609
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       exits with "Too many open files; unable to open a file descriptor above 15"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Apache refuses to open the first CLF transfer log it comes accross,
citing a lack of FD's (15 max).

This is clearly not the case as killing our LIVE apache 1.2.6 server
(130 processes at mid-load) and attempting to start httpd1.3.0 results in
the same crash. Despite the dead 1.2.6 server freeing up some 30+ FD's,
1.3.0 still claims that 15 is the max it can open.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to open a transferlog in the environment described
>Fix:
Have looked at the source but cannot pinpoint the cause, is somewhere in the
code underlying "ap_open_piped_log()" I think.

Confused.