Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com> on 2005/04/27 23:28:22 UTC

Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Howdy,

I've generated the tarballs for the 3.0.3 release.  Please download
and test for release.  Once we have three +1s I'll move the files over
to dist and upload to CPAN, then announce the release 12 or so hours
later to allow for mirror propagation.  Also, I've included a draft of
the release announcement, please review and suggest any changes you
would like to see.

You can pick up the files here:
http://people.apache.org/~parker/release/

Here is the draft announcement:

SpamAssassin 3.0.3 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.0.3 contains some
important bug fixes, and is recommended for use over previous
versions.

SpamAssassin is a mail filter which uses advanced statistical and
heuristic tests to identify spam (also known as unsolicited bulk email).

Highlights of the release
-------------------------

 - Fixed possible memory bloat from large AutoWhitelist db files

 - Fixed where user defined rules scores became ignored

 - Updated parsing code for several Received: header formats

 - Increased some BAYES_* scores for the network+bayes score set

 - Document set_tag for Plugin API and added get_tag

 - Additional bug fixes.

Downloading
-----------

Pick it up at http://spamassassin.apache.org/

You can also find it on your favorite CPAN mirror (you may need to
wait a day or so for the release to propagate).

md5sum of archive files:
c9028e72958909285e43feb806d948dc  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.3.tar.bz2
ca96f23cd1eb7d663ab55db98ef8090c  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.3.tar.gz
d7292ec75eb61e0fa2ceb6aa5b20fed9  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.3.zip

sha1sum of archive files:
324763dd7b344b68ad9ab73fd68b8f779c801aab  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.3.tar.bz2
e31407b68bf362dfe53814c0af867e8134c9808b  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.3.tar.gz
c1aa1583eebc0771ee053b8a484a42fc22b8630c  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.3.zip

The release files also have a .asc accompanying them.  The file serves
as an external GPG signature for the given release file.  The signing
key is available via the wwwkeys.pgp.net key server, as well as
http://spamassassin.apache.org/released/GPG-SIGNING-KEY

The key information is:

pub  1024D/265FA05B 2003-06-09 SpamAssassin Signing Key <re...@spamassassin.org>
     Key fingerprint =3D 26C9 00A4 6DD4 0CD5 AD24  F6D7 DEE0 1987 265F A05B

Note:  GnuPG 1.4.0, and possibly 1.3.x versions, seem to have problems
verifying certain signature files, including the type as used for
SpamAssassin releases. If you are running an affected version, please
verify the code using both MD5 and SHA1 sum values instead.

The SpamAssassin Developers

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:19:16PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> > No, but it seems a pretty gratuitous change for a bugfix-only release.
>
> Ahhh...but whats to say that wasn't a bug fix?  Did you happen to
> notice how it was done in 3.0.1?

This whole conversation is really moot.  Either way works, and in between
3.0.2 and 3.0.3 it was reset to 1, so a change had to be made to set it back
to some non-true value.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Should you get killed or injured on the job, you are required to notify

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:01:56PM -0700, John Gardiner Myers wrote:
> Michael Parker wrote:
>
> >Works either way. Are you seeing a problem?
>
> No, but it seems a pretty gratuitous change for a bugfix-only release.

Ahhh...but whats to say that wasn't a bug fix?  Did you happen to
notice how it was done in 3.0.1?

Michael

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by John Gardiner Myers <jg...@proofpoint.com>.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:58:10PM -0700, John Gardiner Myers wrote:
> Are you sure you're supposed to be undefining IS_DEVEL_BUILD instead of
> defining it as 0 as was done in 3.0.2?

It works either way.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Limit Democrats to 2 terms...1 in Congress 1 in jail.

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by John Gardiner Myers <jg...@proofpoint.com>.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:59:52PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:43:37PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> >
> > And strongly +1 on "votes on the list *only*".  The IRC channel is
> > nice, but we're not all there ;)
> >

> I think it's a shame that IRC has become less useful for developers.
> It used to be a very good tool for everyone.  Evidently Daniel hasn't
> been able to send his vote to the list, here is a small transcript
> from IRC:
> [17:21:51] <Herk> quinlan: so +1?
> [17:32:32] <quinlan> yeah, +1
> [17:32:54] <Herk> quinlan: can you mail dev, just to make it official
>
> Once 3 or more +1 votes have been received for a release any decision
> for ultimate release lies with the release manager.  There is no
> mandated soak time, if the release is ready it should go.

I should add, I was waiting for Daniel's vote to hit dev before I did
anything as far as announcing a release.  I just wanted to get the
files in place so we'd be ahead of the game with the Apache mirrors.

Michael

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:43:37PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:

> And strongly +1 on "votes on the list *only*".  The IRC channel is
> nice, but we're not all there ;)

I think it's a shame that IRC has become less useful for developers.
It used to be a very good tool for everyone.  Evidently Daniel hasn't
been able to send his vote to the list, here is a small transcript
from IRC:
[17:21:51] <Herk> quinlan: so +1?
[17:32:32] <quinlan> yeah, +1
[17:32:54] <Herk> quinlan: can you mail dev, just to make it official

Once 3 or more +1 votes have been received for a release any decision
for ultimate release lies with the release manager.  There is no
mandated soak time, if the release is ready it should go.

I agree, that in most cases, we should allow 24 hrs or so for someone
to register a veto on a patch before applying it to the stable
branch.  That obviously doesn't always happen.  I make sure to do that
for any patches of mine that might be controversial or if I'm unsure
for any reason.

We are talking about a bug that came in after the 3.0.3 release had
been built and made public (not in an official directory, but public
non the less).  So moving forward and putting anything into the stable
branch will entail a bump in the release version for a release.

3.0.3 has not been officially released, but there is a tarball in the
wild that claims it is 3.0.3.  The only steps I've taken thus far are
to move things over to dist so the Apache mirror system can begin
syncing the release out to the various mirrors.

I'm willing to scrap 3.0.3 all together and move on to 3.0.4, afterall
the whole point of this exercise is to get something out there and
stable.  However, please keep in mind when it comes to release, we not
only need to get things built and tested, but we should allow time for
tarballs to sync out to mirror sites before announcing.  For
maintenance releases this is pretty easy because we're dealing with a
fairly stable set of code.

We're in no different place than if the release had received no +1
votes so we might as well move forward, bump the release num, declare
3.0.3 dead and get a nice stable 3.0.4 out the door.

Michael

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:24:40PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> There actually have been 3 +1s, quinlan's just hasn't made it to the
> list yet.  I've already moved the files over to dist.

So yeah, this is what happened with 3.0.2 and it's annoying.  For 3.0.2,
everything was decided on IRC, people posted to dev@ to "make it official"
within a 5 minute span, and a release happened within an hour.

Votes need to occur on the list to be considered official, votes on
IRC or whatever don't count.  Votes are also supposed to run for at
least 24 hours to give everyone a chance to see it and make comments.
Releases can't be vetoed, but the procedures we have documented explain
why this is still useful.

If we don't want to put the patch in, that's fine, but I'd like to
have release votes go as they're supposed to before the release is
actually done.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
 "I love this planet. I've got wealth, fame, and access to the depths of

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:49:44PM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:28:22PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> > I've generated the tarballs for the 3.0.3 release.  Please download
> > and test for release.  Once we have three +1s I'll move the files over
> > to dist and upload to CPAN, then announce the release 12 or so hours
> > later to allow for mirror propagation.  Also, I've included a draft of
> > the release announcement, please review and suggest any changes you
> > would like to see.
>
> It's last minute, but since there hasn't been 3 votes yet, I'd like to
> get 4287 in.

There actually have been 3 +1s, quinlan's just hasn't made it to the
list yet.  I've already moved the files over to dist.

If we want to put it in, we'll have to make a 3.0.4 anyway.

Michael

Re: Please Test 3.0.3 For Release

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:28:22PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> I've generated the tarballs for the 3.0.3 release.  Please download
> and test for release.  Once we have three +1s I'll move the files over
> to dist and upload to CPAN, then announce the release 12 or so hours
> later to allow for mirror propagation.  Also, I've included a draft of
> the release announcement, please review and suggest any changes you
> would like to see.

It's last minute, but since there hasn't been 3 votes yet, I'd like to
get 4287 in.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
My friend has a baby.  I'm writing down all the noises he makes so
 later I can ask him what he meant.
 		-- Steven Wright