Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2006/11/10 11:17:08 UTC

[1.4] Is the per-publication content directory necessary?

Hi Lenya devs,

I wonder if it is really appropriate to configure the content
directory per publication and not globally.

Does anyone need separate content directories for publications?
IMO the major purpose is to separate data from the web application
for deployment and backup reasons.

Wouldn't it be easier to configure a global "data directory"
which is used for content, user data, search index etc.? This
could be overridden by configuring the single components
(e.g. the SourceNodeFactory or the Lucene index).

WDYT?

-- Andreas

Re: [1.4] Is the per-publication content directory necessary?

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> I wonder if it is really appropriate to configure the content
> directory per publication and not globally.
>
> Does anyone need separate content directories for publications?

i don't, and i'm all for simplifying stuff.
"convention over configuration" was the big buzzword at the cocoon gt,
and i found it very convincing. lenya has got many configurable things
that nobody really seems to use, which mean they tend to break when you
use non-default settings. the less of those we keep, the less we have to
maintain.

> IMO the major purpose is to separate data from the web application
> for deployment and backup reasons.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to configure a global "data directory"
> which is used for content, user data, search index etc.? This
> could be overridden by configuring the single components
> (e.g. the SourceNodeFactory or the Lucene index).

+1

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

if you are a free (as in "free speech") software developer
and you happen to be travelling near my home, drop me a line
and come round for a free (as in "free beer") beer. :-D

Re: [1.4] Is the per-publication content directory necessary?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>Michael Wechner schrieb:
>

>>Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>>I wonder if it is really appropriate to configure the content
>>>directory per publication and not globally.
>>>
>>>Does anyone need separate content directories for publications?
>>>

>>yes
>>

>OK - would you mind explaining your usage scenario?

we have the content within different directories within different
subversions

>Maybe it is possible to find a different solution to meet
>your requirements.
>
>The only scenario that comes to my mind ATM is to distribute
>the content over multiple partitions/disks, but this would
>probably only be necessary if there are millions of documents.

I don't think one needs to have millions of documents to do this ;-)

>And in this case it should IMO be a concern of the repository
>service.

isn't this the case already?

>Another one could be to store the content in the publication
>source directory, which would make it easier to put it into
>the same SVN repo. But this could be managed by checking out
>the content directory in another location as well.

I don't think it's a good idea that one has to checkout stuff into a
specific dir just that Lenya can get hold of it

Cheers

Michi

>>>IMO the major purpose is to separate data from the web application
>>>for deployment and backup reasons.
>>>
>>>Wouldn't it be easier to configure a global "data directory"
>>>which is used for content, user data, search index etc.?
>>>

>>I don't think so, because I think every publication should be
>>self-contained.
>>

>The publication could still be self-contained:
>
>  /data
>     /pub1
>        /content
>        /access-control
>        /search-index
>        /...
>     /pub2
>        /content
>        /...
>
>OTOH, I can imagine to have global data repositories, which could
>simplify multi-site publishing. But this is certainly something
>for 1.6 or later.
>

>-- Andreas

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [1.4] Is the per-publication content directory necessary?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>Hi Lenya devs,
>
>I wonder if it is really appropriate to configure the content
>directory per publication and not globally.
>
>Does anyone need separate content directories for publications?

yes

>IMO the major purpose is to separate data from the web application
>for deployment and backup reasons.
>
>Wouldn't it be easier to configure a global "data directory"
>which is used for content, user data, search index etc.?

I don't think so, because I think every publication should be
self-contained.

Cheers

Michi

> This
>could be overridden by configuring the single components
>(e.g. the SourceNodeFactory or the Lucene index).
>
>WDYT?
>
>-- Andreas

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61