Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Yves Goergen <no...@unclassified.de> on 2018/07/28 19:20:49 UTC

stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?)

Hello,

I've received a notification e-mail from stackexchange.com
(stackoverflow.com) with a high spam score. It has this line in its report:

   5.7 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
                              [URIs: stackexchange.com]

I guess that's not supposed to be like that. I can't change anything at
it, just for information for somebody in the position to fix that.

Here's the complete report:

  -0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE     RBL: Sender listed at
http://www.dnswl.org/, no
                              trust
                              [198.252.206.125 listed in list.dnswl.org]
   5.7 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
                              [URIs: stackexchange.com]
  -0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: Senderechner entspricht SPF-Datensatz
   0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: Nachricht enthält HTML
  -0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU          Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature
from author's
                              domain
   0.1 DKIM_SIGNED            Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not
necessarily valid
  -0.1 DKIM_VALID             Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK
signature

-Yves

Re: stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?)

Posted by Yves Goergen <no...@unclassified.de>.
Yes, I have changed the value of this rule long ago. It seemed to be
better. I may have to turn it down a little.

And I am the admin myself but I'm no expert in spam fighting. Especially
what the reason or source of that blacklisting is. I just see the rule
matched and I consider that wrong because stackexchange is a service I
use often and it never sent my anything unexpected.

So what is the reason for this host being listed?

-Yves

> I've received a notification e-mail from stackexchange.com
> (stackoverflow.com) with a high spam score. It has this line in its
> report:
>
>     5.7 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL
> blacklist [URIs: stackexchange.com]
>
> I guess that's not supposed to be like that.

The default is 1.7, 5.7 is extremely aggressive for that rule,
particular when there's no BAYES_* result in the report.

>   I can't change anything
> at it, just for information for somebody in the position to fix that.

It's a very indirect way of getting to your local admin.

Re: stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?)

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, Daniele Duca wrote:

> On 29/07/2018 09:53, Yves Goergen wrote:
>
>> No I can't because it's a locked system. I'd need an account for that. And
>> I'm not going to register just for saving another admin's system. So either
>> stackexchange admins repair their entry themselves, or the blacklist
>> operator needs a review.
>>
>> -Yves
> A third option would be for you to use uridnsbl_skip_domain and don't bother
> anymore ;)

As of right now URIBL does not report stackexchange.com as being listed.

   Look at the people at the top of both efforts. Linus Torvalds is a
   university graduate with a CS degree. Bill Gates is a university
   dropout who bragged about dumpster-diving and using other peoples'
   garbage code as the basis for his code. Maybe that has something to
   do with the difference in quality/security between Linux and
   Windows.                           -- anytwofiveelevenis on Y! SCOX
  6 days until the 283rd anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal

Re: stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?)

Posted by Daniele Duca <du...@staff.spin.it>.
On 29/07/2018 09:53, Yves Goergen wrote:

> No I can't because it's a locked system. I'd need an account for that.
> And I'm not going to register just for saving another admin's system.
> So either stackexchange admins repair their entry themselves, or the
> blacklist operator needs a review.
>
> -Yves
A third option would be for you to use uridnsbl_skip_domain and don't
bother anymore ;)

Daniele

Re: stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?)

>     5.7 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
>                                [URIs: stackexchange.com]
>
> I guess that's not supposed to be like that. I can't change anything at
> it, just for information for somebody in the position to fix that.

It is indeed listed, and listed for a reason.

The default score for URIBL_BLACK is 1.7 with bayes. Why have you
changed it?

You can request that it be delisted here:

https://admin.uribl.com/

Regards,
Dave

Re: stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?)

Posted by Dave Wreski <dw...@guardiandigital.com>.

Re: stackexchange.com in URIBL (false positive?) *** Spam 5.7

Posted by Yves Goergen <no...@unclassified.de>.
Oh I can surely change anything I want. But I don't want to weaken my
spam filter. It's weak enough already. Spam is getting more and more
through. It got to the point where I have to reconsider my complete mail
receiving strategy with subaddresses, filters and a set of inbox
subfolders to keep anything unknown away from me and only put in my
inbox what I already know.

-Yves

Am 28.07.2018 um 21:20 schrieb Yves Goergen:
> I've received a notification e-mail from stackexchange.com
> (stackoverflow.com) with a high spam score. It has this line in its report:
>
>    5.7 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
>                               [URIs: stackexchange.com]
>
> I guess that's not supposed to be like that. I can't change anything at
> it, just for information for somebody in the position to fix that

why in the world do you think you can't change anything as admin of your
server?

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local-06-uridnsbl-skip-domain.cf
uridnsbl_skip_domain stackexchange.com