Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/30 12:12:52 UTC

instantiation of classes in MR

Hi,

I want to understand a basic concept in MR.

If a mapper creates an instance of some class (using the 'new' operator),
then the created class exists ONCE in the VM of this node.
For each node.
Correct?

Now,
what if instead of using the 'new' operator, the class is created using
reflection.
Is it valid in a MR?
Will only one instance of the created class be existing in that node?

Thanks,

Eyal

Eyal Golan
egolan74@gmail.com

Visit: http://jvdrums.sourceforge.net/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/egolan74
Skype: egolan74

P  Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary

Re: instantiation of classes in MR

Posted by Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much for the help.

I am going to start working on it soon (a few days) and will probably have
more questions :)

Posted by Anirudh <te...@gmail.com>.
Harsh,

Appreciate you responding to the thread. Sorry got a bit held up with work,
hence couldnt reply.
I am not sure what do you mean by setup/cleanup procedures?
 In my response I actually meant latter i.e. API hooks 'setup/cleanup'. If
the APIs are called per split/partition, why do we need to do that? I
cannot think of a case where we would need to do the setup again for the
next split/partition, as it is the input data. As it is the setup/cleanup
cannot be dependent on the size of the partition/split. In JVM resuse
option multiple splits can be considered as a large single split. Something
like init()/service() API of servlets. Do you think there could be any
issues with this approach?

*Quotes: Harsh
That wouldn't be good isolation-wise. Resetting a lot of other relevant
parameters would be much more costly than reinitializing the whole task
(but not the JVM). I think https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-249,
which introduced this, should help you*

This could be an answer to the question I asked earlier. As per me, reusing
the same instance of the Mapper would be good from optimization
perspective. Unless it is kind of mandated by the MR framework to run each
split/partition in isolation(even during JVM reuse). As I have yet not
looked at the code I will not be able to comment whether the
re-initializing that you are talking about could be avoided in case of JVM
reuse. Currently I am not sure what these parameters are that need to be
reset. I will surely look at the link that you provided and would want to
investigate further. Thanks for all the time.

Anirudh

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello Anirudh,

Posted by Anirudh <te...@gmail.com>.