Posted to users@flex.apache.org by chrismatheson <ch...@matheson.it> on 2016/11/22 08:15:02 UTC

[flexjs] Help setting up flexjs project

Hi everyone,

Im currently trying to set up a flexjs environment so we can prototype a few
things and see about porting our existing flex application over.

To be frank & honest I've been using flex framework quite happily for about
3/4 years now but the whole SDK setup etc has always been a piece of magic
I've never managed to get my head round properly. As a by product of that
our existing application is still using flex 4.6 because i simply haven't
been able to work out how to get anything else to setup correctly across two
local dev environments & CI environment.

I was wondering (hoping) someone out there with more experience might have
the time to remote pair with me for an hour or two and help me get setup.
Ive not done a session like this before so quite happy to use whatever tools
etc are suggested (i was thinking some sort of Skype setup with screen
sharing but this might not be the best) and in return I'm hoping to write up
my learning into some sort of "explain all the moving parts of flex
development" article / wiki page for the community at large.

Im GMT and have very flexible working hours so anything between 8am -> 8 pm
GMT would work for me.

otherwise id be very grateful for any other help or feedback

Cheers

Chris

Things I've currently tried:

DIY command line :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started+with+the+Falcon+and+FalconJX+Compilers

At least get it working locally and figure out CI later:
https://nextgenactionscript.com/tutorials/intellij-idea-apache-flexjs-transpile-actionscript-setup/
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+IntelliJ+IDEA

Re: [flexjs] Help setting up flexjs project

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Hans,

Well I use only IntelliJ, but i have to admit, that most of my work is on the Java and Maven side of the Stage and that works great ☺
It is a little tricky though to do the FlexJS side ... I usually just ignored the errors if I knew things were ok. I really hope to get people from Jetbrains back on board as soon as FlexJS gains more traction. And we could always work on it ourselves to make things better. Unfortunately I would be able to fix things, but at the moment I don’t quite know where to start ;-)

Chris

Am 22.11.16, 16:33 schrieb "Hans Nuecke" <hn...@vservu.de>:

    Hi ChrisD,

    thank you for all your support; I'm watching this kind of threads since
    a while because I plan to start testing/using FlexJS soon.
    Sounds to be a good time now. I'll have a look into the suggested
    tutorials, but have a short question first:

    With the "legacy" Flex (AS3, Flex, Sparc) I'm using IntelliJ IDEA, but
    without Maven. Can FlexJS and Maven be used together with IntelliJ Idea
    also?
    I do imagine that's possible, since JS and some frameworks like jQuery,
    Angular and React are supported, too.

    What would be your advice on this matter? Or what is your general
    suggestion for a proven development environment?

    Thanks a lot and regards

    Hans

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
Hi Piotr,

thank you very much for your fast answer and valuable tips!

I'll keep your email in a safe place and follow your suggestion when I'm
starting my FlexJS adventure ;-)
Regards

Hans

Am 22.11.2016 um 21:31 schrieb piotrz:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I think I will have small input if we are talking about Intellij. I love
> this IDE, but unfortunately JetBrains guys won't support FlexJS, but I was
> able to setup my environment and use Intellij.
>
> Actually I'm using mixed of two IDEs for coding in FlexJS. It's Intellij and
> Visual Studio Code [1] for launch and debugging code.
>
> I really recommend to use FlexJS Nightly build.
> Intellij Setup - For Coding:
> - I created new flash project from existing source
> - I've added as an framework FlexJS, but Intellij do not recognize it fully
> as an framework
> - In order to have code hints you need to do some workaround - add FlexJS as
> an Library in dependencies of project
> - Build project using Maven through Terminal in Intellij
>
> VS Code Setup - For Debugging:
> - In order to debug in VS Code you have to install plugin [2] and follow the
> instruction [3]
>
> [1] https://goo.gl/TbZAun
> [2] https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
> [3]
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Debug-a-transpiled-ActionScript-project-in-Visual-Studio-Code-with-Google-Chrome
>
> Maybe some day someone will find time and look into the Flex Plugin in
> Intellij and add support for FlexJS. - I know that this plugin is open
> sourced.
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC
> piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

*Hans J. Nuecke* / Gorch-Fock-Str. 6  81827 Muenchen  Germany /
*VservU GmbH*
Home:                           +49 (89) 45344858              office:           +49 (89) 43906 707
mobile:                        +49 (176) 56529048
private: hans@nuecke.de
<ma...@nuecke.de>                 business: hnuecke@vservu.de
<ma...@vservu.de>
website: www.vservu.de <http://vservu.de> www.megazine3.de
<http://megazine3.de>
Munich HRB 181251    Geschftsfhrer:      Hans J. Ncke      USt-Id:   DE266694113

Re: [flexjs] Help setting up flexjs project

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
Hi ChrisD,

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure whether this setup with Intellij where you have buildable
project by IDE is up to date. There were so many changes from the time when
this confluence website was created.

I suggest you try one of the solution proposed in previous posts.
1) IDE + Ant build in that case Flash Builder
2) Intellij + Maven + Visual Studio Code as an debbuging tool

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [flexjs] Help setting up flexjs project

Posted by chrismatheson <ch...@matheson.it>.
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

Ive realised I've kind of been going round in circles, so im focusing on
getting up and running by following the instructions  here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+IntelliJ+IDEA

I've set up my modules & SDK's correctly (i think) as i seem to now have
intelisense etc in a mxml file with a js namespace (using the yellow world
example)

however when i try to compile i end up with the following error

```
Error:[flexjs]: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
com/google/javascript/jscomp/ErrorManager : Unsupported major.minor version
51.0
```

some googling tells me that this is a java version issue and the the java
version used when compiling is less that 51 (JDK8) im pretty sure i have
JDK8 & JRE8 installed

```
chrismatheson:unitsofsound$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_111"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)
```

however the first line of the compilation output suggest that its using 1.6
for some reason

```
Information:[flexjs]: Starting Flex compiler:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -d32
-Dapplication.home=/Users/chrismatheson/Code/unitsofsound/node_modules/flexjs
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Duser.language=en
-Duser.region=en -Xmx512m -classpath "/Applications/IntelliJ IDEA
14.app/Contents/plugins/flex/lib/idea-flex-compiler-fix.jar:/Applications/IntelliJ
IDEA
14.app/Contents/plugins/flex/lib/flex-compiler.jar:/Users/chrismatheson/Code/unitsofsound/node_modules/flexjs/lib/flex-compiler-oem.jar"
com.intellij.flex.compiler.FlexCompiler 60050
```

has anyone encountered this before?

cheers

Chris

Re: [flexjs] Help setting up flexjs project

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
One thing worth mentioning is that MXML files will not produce source maps
yet. Not even <fx: Script> blocks yet. Only pure ActionScript classes for
now.

- Josh

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/26/16, 8:41 AM, "chrismatheson" <ch...@matheson.it> wrote:

Glad to hear you are making progress.

>However there is one last piece thats causing me a headache just now . .
>. i
>can't seem to get source maps out of mxmlc
>
>the  wiki
><https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started+with+the
>+Falcon+and+FalconJX+Compilers>
>suggest i will just need to add the `-source-map ` switch to my command
>line, but im not having any luck there. Has anyone else had any luck
>getting
>source maps out from flexjs ?

There are two mxmlc scripts: one in bin for making SWFs and another in
js/bin for cross-compiling to JS.  I think only the mxmlc in js/bin will
handle the -source-map option.

>also another small Q, i can't seem to get any "useful" info from mxmlc
>with
>the standard `--help` flag ?

Yeah, the --help flag hasn't been wired up yet.  Volunteers are welcome to
try to make it work.

-Alex

Re: [flexjs] Help setting up flexjs project

Posted by chrismatheson <ch...@matheson.it>.
Some updates in case anyone else is interested in my progress

I seems to be getting somewhere, I've decided to just sort of ignore the
Intellij UI for compiler options etc and instead just have it shell out to
mxmlc to compile the project which works nicely, and as a bonus will mean
that i can reuse that script in the CI/CD environment and make sure all
settings will be the same for local build and CI build :D

specifically i add a run/debug configuration "Javascript Debug" and intellij
will start home, hook up the devtools to the IDE and launch a URL of my
choosing. I change the "before launch" to "run external tool" which i set up
to be mxmlc from the local npm package.

This is so far working well, i can hit run / debug and have my flex's
project compiled & run in chrome.

However there is one last piece thats causing me a headache just now . . . i

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

FlexJS developers have different preferences regarding their IDEs and build
tools. I'm currently using Flash Builder and Ant and they have been working
for me. I'd be happy to share my experience if you'd like to set things up
that way. If you want to go that way, as a starting point, why not have a
look  [1]
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+Adobe+Flash+Builder>
and let us know where you're stuck.