Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by li jerry <di...@hotmail.com> on 2019/12/10 09:43:18 UTC

VM from ISO cannot execute restoreVirtualMachine

Hello All
When I analyzed the restoreVirtualMachine API, I found that If the VM is from ISO, newTemplate can only be ISO when executing restoreVirtualMachine.

Why do we have such a design?

From our application scenarios (I think most of them are the same), the VM created by the user through ISO may need to be reinstalled through template later.

-Jerry

Re: VM from ISO cannot execute restoreVirtualMachine

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
File a GitHub issue/request for improvement Li...

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, 14:48 Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT), <
Gregor.Riepl@swisstxt.ch> wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> I think this is because of the way a VM is tied to its root disk, and how
> a root disk is chained to its template.
> VMs created from ISO do not have such a chain.
>
> Technically, it shouldn't be an issue to swap out the root disk entirely,
> though...
>
> Regards,
> Gregor

From our application scenarios (I think most of them are the same), the VM created by the user through ISO may need to be reinstalled through template later.