Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Damian Carey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/30 05:28:36 UTC

Limitations in using ADB for our ws-clent

Hello,

I'm moderately experience Java Desktop (Swing/RMI/DB/Hibernate etc)
developer with some XML experience, but no SOAP experience. My current
Axis2 problem is just that I do not have experienced eyes, and so I
can't accurately "sniff" potential problems. I would be most
appreciative of any suggestions / guidance / advice  regarding these
beginners issues.

We have a task to connect ourselves to an existing webservice, and we
have been given a WSDL file to develop our web services client.

Question 1: Limitations of ADB:
Firstly after reading
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_4_1/userguide-creatingclients.html#choosingclient
I decided on ADB as a client as it seems to be the simplest. However,
that web page has the following intriguing comment regarding ADB :
"... and has difficulty with structures such as XML Schema element
extensions and restrictions".  For what it is worth I have scanned the
WSDL file and found zero instances of the string "extension", and 26
instances of the string "restriction". All the "restriction"s are of
the form
<simpleType name="WorkType">
    <restriction base="xsd:string">
        <enumeration value="LABR"/>
        <enumeration value="OTH"/>
    </restriction>
</simpleType>

Is it easy to tell if these potential ADB "difficulties" applies to us?
Can experienced eyes look through a WSDL and recognise where ADB
will/may have a problem?
Or is it just a matter of waiting until testing to discover problems?

Question 2: Size of the stub:
Going through the process on the Axis2 web site I created the stub.
The WSDL file is >50KB, and the generated STUB is more than 50,000
lines long and 2.4MB in size!!!  Now I was surprised by the size, but
browsing through the stub it all seems reasonable and in order - even
if it is a touch verbose.  I really don't care about the size if it is
going to work OK.  I only care about the size if it may indicate that
there may be a problem.

Does the massive size of the stub indicate any problem?
Does it suggest that ADB may not cope and perhaps we should pursue one
of the other methods? (such as XMLBeans or JiBX)

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

-Damian

Re: Limitations in using ADB for our ws-clent

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
> "... and has difficulty with structures such as XML Schema element
> extensions and restrictions".
>
> has the same meaning with what I habe said. It can not dinamically adapt
> itself to the changes on the schema definitions.

I'm not an expert of ADB, but this statement doesn't seem correct to
me. The ADB documentation obviously refers to the XML Schema concepts
of extension and restriction, which allow to derive new types from
existing types. It has nothing to do with the behavior of ADB with
respect to changes to the schema (which cause problems to any
databinding framework). Probably ADB doesn't (fully) support
extensions and restrictions on complex types, but for simple types
this should work (but again, I'm not very familiar with ADB).

Andreas

Re: Limitations in using ADB for our ws-clent

Posted by Damian Carey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Excellent explanation. The more you explain the more the fog in my
head is lifting!!!
I really appreciate your input.
Thank you,
-Damian

Posted by Damian Carey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ibrahim,

Posted by Damian Carey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sudhir,

Posted by Sudhir Mongia <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

Posted by Sudhir Mongia <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Damian Carey <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm moderately experience Java Desktop (Swing/RMI/DB/Hibernate etc)
> developer with some XML experience, but no SOAP experience. My current
> Axis2 problem is just that I do not have experienced eyes, and so I
> can't accurately "sniff" potential problems. I would be most
> appreciative of any suggestions / guidance / advice  regarding these
> beginners issues.
>
> We have a task to connect ourselves to an existing webservice, and we
> have been given a WSDL file to develop our web services client.
>

> Question 1: Limitations of ADB:
> Firstly after reading
>
> http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_4_1/userguide-creatingclients.html#choosingclient
> I decided on ADB as a client as it seems to be the simplest. However,
> that web page has the following intriguing comment regarding ADB :
> "... and has difficulty with structures such as XML Schema element
> extensions and restrictions".  For what it is worth I have scanned the
> WSDL file and found zero instances of the string "extension", and 26
> instances of the string "restriction". All the "restriction"s are of
> the form
> <simpleType name="WorkType">
>    <restriction base="xsd:string">
>        <enumeration value="LABR"/>
>        <enumeration value="OTH"/>
>    </restriction>
> </simpleType>
>
> Is it easy to tell if these potential ADB "difficulties" applies to us?
> Can experienced eyes look through a WSDL and recognise where ADB
> will/may have a problem?
> Or is it just a matter of waiting until testing to discover problems?

Currently ADB supports both extension and restrictions.

> Question 2: Size of the stub:
> Going through the process on the Axis2 web site I created the stub.
> The WSDL file is >50KB, and the generated STUB is more than 50,000
> lines long and 2.4MB in size!!!  Now I was surprised by the size, but
> browsing through the stub it all seems reasonable and in order - even
> if it is a touch verbose.  I really don't care about the size if it is
> going to work OK.  I only care about the size if it may indicate that
> there may be a problem.

use -u option.

--
Amila Suriarachchi