Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by ChangWoo Jung <ju...@kr.ibm.com> on 2007/03/09 10:30:31 UTC

Re: [osgi-dev] Backward compatibility

Bottaro,

AFAIK, running R3 bundles on Equinox seems okay.
I guess you are dealing with OBR deployment side of story. I mean osgi
client with obr repository, right?
I am not the Felix guy though... but have some experience with using OBR2.
Wouldn't be  possible to regenerate the meta information (repository.xml)
at server side using OBR2 format against existing R3 bundles?
I guess it will work with bindex which you can get it from osgi site.

I also found serval things before...

- OBR2 bundle dislike the situation that if the bundle doesn't have
symbolic name. But I guess it could be easily changed, if there is no
symbolic-name then use Bundle-Name instead since all R3 bundle has.
-  The packages from org.osgi.framework.system.packages has to be added to
SystemPackages's capability.

After that I manage to run existing R3 bundles as well. Actually I used
Equinox and OBR repository(OBR2). But honestly I haven't used Felix as
client osgi.

ChangWoo Jung
Staff R&D Engineer
Ubiquitous Computing Laboratory, IBM Corporation
+82-2-3781-8422 (t/l: 825-8422)s
jungcw@kr.ibm.com

"BOTTARO Andre RD-MAPS-GRE" <an...@orange-ftgroup.com>
Sent by: osgi-dev-bounces@www2.osgi.org
2007-03-09 오후 05:43
Please respond to
OSGi Developer Mail List <os...@www2.osgi.org>

<fe...@incubator.apache.org>, "OSGi Developer Mail List"
<os...@www2.osgi.org>, "OSGi Developer Mail List"
<os...@bundles.osgi.org>, <os...@incubator.apache.org>
cc

Subject
[osgi-dev] Backward compatibility

Hi,
It happens that more than a year after the 4th public release of OSGi™
specification and that felix project has begun, there is still an
important gap to overcome for oscar developers to adopt felix platform :
- The numerous R3 bundles developed before are not deployable as is on the
felix platform whereas the Core specification announce that OSGi™
platfroms must be backward compatible (Manifest version 1 and 2)
- The felix platform is delivered with a bundle repository client which is
not compatible with previous repositories. It is due to obr 2 technical
disrupt and felix decision (?) not to remain backward compatible.
It explains that the choice between R3 and R4 before any development phase
is not easy and I admit that I sometimes recommend to stay on the good old
oscar… (especially for quick developments, quick application tests, or
developments with existing R3 bundles).
Some (naive ?) solutions may answer the 2 problems I mention. Tell me if
it is reasonable:
- felix Module Class Loader may enable bundles with manifest version 1 to
import all the packages of the boot-delegation classpath. Or even better,
a R3 module class loader can be attached to those bundles.
- oscar bundle repository client may be embedded in the felix one in order
for the latter to be backward compatible. (on this simpler topic, I could
recommend using felix with kf bundle repository client and server...)
I did not check if other platforms treat R3 bundles better. Was the core
specification too ambitious ?
--
OSGi Developer Mail List