Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/15 11:48:39 UTC

Documentation navigation

Hi guys,

as we are working on the documentation, we would like to know which kind
of navigation would be the most pleasant.

We have to possibilities to navigate into the doc, assuming that we have
previous/Next/Up links

1) We can make the link to always point to the next page in the doco,
whether it's on a upper or lower level

2) Or we can force the prev/next navigation to remain on the same level.

Let me explain with an example. Here is a possible doco with 3 levels :

1
  1.1
     1.1.1
     1.1.2
  1.2
     1.2.1
2
  2.1
  2.2
3

If we adopt the (1) type of navigation, then the 'next' link will move
to the pages this way : 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.2.1, 2, 2.1, 2.2, 3
If we adopt the (2) solution, then doing a 'next' on page 1 will drive
you to page 2, then to page 3. You have to go down to page 1.1 to be
able to navigate to page 1.2 etc.

What do you prefer ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Documentation navigation

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> as we are working on the documentation, we would like to know which kind
> of navigation would be the most pleasant.
>
> We have to possibilities to navigate into the doc, assuming that we have
> previous/Next/Up links
>
> 1) We can make the link to always point to the next page in the doco,
> whether it's on a upper or lower level
>
> 2) Or we can force the prev/next navigation to remain on the same level.
>
> Let me explain with an example. Here is a possible doco with 3 levels :
>
> 1
>   1.1
>      1.1.1
>      1.1.2
>   1.2
>      1.2.1
> 2
>   2.1
>   2.2
> 3
>
> If we adopt the (1) type of navigation, then the 'next' link will move
> to the pages this way : 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.2.1, 2, 2.1, 2.2, 3

yeah, let "next" take user to "next", irrespective of the end of current
section

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: Documentation navigation

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Emmanuel,

I'd vote for option 1.

This is more like book reading to me where you first finish a chapter before jumping to the other.
I think it makes more sense.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud