Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by distillingweb <di...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/17 17:01:16 UTC

Why "no backing beans required" in the Seam is so important?

Hello,

I have seen this new feature in the Seam about the backing beans and I am afraid now whether all the work we have done up
until now would not be the best practice using JSF. Is that a real difference in not using backing beans with Myfaces?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Why "no backing beans required" in the Seam is so important?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> I have seen this new feature in the Seam about the backing beans and I
> am afraid now whether all the work we have done up
> until now would not be the best practice using JSF. Is that a real
> difference in not using backing beans with Myfaces?
Backing-Beans are just a virtual concept, you're perfectly able to write
a JSF application without any declared backing bean, but with just beans
floating around somewhere and are just used on the page.
And I can imagine that in some parts it is fine to do so, for example to
feed a f:selectItems with always the same data in your pages all around.
So, not using a backing bean is not a new feature Seam introduce.

Everyone could decide if it is suitable for him/her to not use a
specific class for a page and gain that one knows exactly where to look
to see what the pages are built upon. On the other hand, using a
collection of beans might reduce the lines of code a little bit.

Regarding "best practice", live changes, what today is a best practice
might not be true tomorrow ... but ... it is up to you if you'd like to
follow the "new best practice" ;-)

Ciao,
Mario

BTW: for now I'd stick with backing beans.