Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ondřej Klimpera <kl...@fit.cvut.cz> on 2012/06/14 07:41:33 UTC

HADOOP_HOME depracated

Hello, why when running Hadoop, there is always HADOOP_HOME shell
variable being told to be deprecated. How to set installation directory
on cluster nodes, which variable is correct.

Thanks

Ondrej Klimpera

Re: HADOOP_HOME depracated

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Agree that would be great to do since its an incompatible change
(going forward). Would you like to contribute a doc fix for this?

I do believe the other (client-oriented) components in the Hadoop
ecosystem, such as Pig, Hive, etc. can reuse HADOOP_HOME/etc. if set,
for some benefits (such as reading discovering the right cluster,
etc.). I'd say its primarily user benefit.

P.s. For 1.x, you may also want to instead use packages offered via
Apache Bigtop: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop,
which offers an integration-tested stack of ecosystem components (i.e.
proper, working version bundles).

--
Harsh J

Re: HADOOP_HOME depracated