Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/10/22 15:41:44 UTC

Developing with Avalon

I have successfully gotten the Avalon documentation transformed into
PDF.  There are a couple caviats though, that I don't have time to
resolve right now:

I have not generated the Table of Contents yet (a future excercise),
and I cannot import images into the document due to unpredictable base
addresses.  All the important information is there, and it comes out
to a meager 52 pages (did I write all that?).

For anyone listening on the cocoon list, I would appreciate help in
telling FOP to find the external graphics.  If anyone has clues that
help, let me know.  Enclosed is what the PDF looks like (zipped up).

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > I have successfully gotten the Avalon documentation transformed into
> > PDF.  There are a couple caviats though, that I don't have time to
> > resolve right now:
> >
> > I have not generated the Table of Contents yet (a future excercise),
> > and I cannot import images into the document due to unpredictable base
> > addresses.  All the important information is there, and it comes out
> > to a meager 52 pages (did I write all that?).
> >
> > For anyone listening on the cocoon list, I would appreciate help in
> > telling FOP to find the external graphics.  If anyone has clues that
> > help, let me know.  Enclosed is what the PDF looks like (zipped up).
>
> Wow, I'm impressed! Both for the docs and for the format. Very
> professional and very useful. Great work!!!

Thank you.  It took alot longer than I thought for the PDF.  The docs have
been on the site for a while though.

> Ah, I still have to subscribe to the Avalon mail list... I'll do that
> right away.

:)  Then you missed the [RT] on pluggable component tracking--something
that is there when you need it, but does not impose overhead when it is
disabled.

I got tired of being lazy and waiting for someone else to do it.  Cocooners,
you have my permission to take advantage of my hard work.  The stylesheet is
for Docbook format documents though ;).

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I have successfully gotten the Avalon documentation transformed into
> PDF.  There are a couple caviats though, that I don't have time to
> resolve right now:
>
> I have not generated the Table of Contents yet (a future excercise),
> and I cannot import images into the document due to unpredictable base
> addresses.  All the important information is there, and it comes out
> to a meager 52 pages (did I write all that?).
>
> For anyone listening on the cocoon list, I would appreciate help in
> telling FOP to find the external graphics.  If anyone has clues that
> help, let me know.  Enclosed is what the PDF looks like (zipped up).

Wow, I'm impressed! Both for the docs and for the format. Very
professional and very useful. Great work!!!

Ah, I still have to subscribe to the Avalon mail list... I'll do that
right away.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Looks good.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin:
>
> I would really like to include your PDF under OSM's technical resources page
> http://www.osm.net/technical/index.html.  Is there a URL I could point to or
> alternatively, can I maintain a copy of the document locally.

:)

It will be made available on the Jakarta web site within a day or two.  I have
some things I need to take care of with Axis first, and I will post a link later.
It will be the same document.

RE: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.
Berin: