Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Márcio Geovani Jasinski <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/11 14:41:46 UTC

Scalability with ActimeMQ consumers

Hi,

I have an application running with one producer and many consumers.
In a stress situation I know that we need between 10 and 15 consumers but
normally this number is not needed.

What´s the best solution for scalability using ActiveMQ?
1. Create maximum consumers (15) and leave them awaiting for the stress
time?
2. Or there´s a better way which the server will manage the number of
consumers?

Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

--
Márcio Geovani Jasinski
Blumenau, Santa Catarina

Re: Scalability with ActimeMQ consumers

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2010/3/11 Márcio Geovani Jasinski <ma...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application running with one producer and many consumers.
> In a stress situation I know that we need between 10 and 15 consumers but
> normally this number is not needed.
>
> What´s the best solution for scalability using ActiveMQ?
> 1. Create maximum consumers (15) and leave them awaiting for the stress
> time?

Yes

You might also want to read about prefetch limits; if you've a fairly
small number of messages in peak times you might want to configure
them smaller to ensure a more even spread
http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

--
James
-------