Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Simon Large <sl...@slarge.plus.com> on 2005/04/26 19:36:42 UTC

Locking use question

Hi folks,

I am writing up a description of the locking GUI in TSVN, and having
read through the SVN locking docs, it is unclear whether there are any
real use cases for locking _without_ having set the svn:needs-lock
property. If I lock a file it stops others checking in before me, but
doesn't stop them modifying their local copies. Once I unlock, they can
merge my changes in with any they have made in the meantime, which still
follows the copy-modify-merge model. Is there a use for this which I may
have missed, or is locking really only useful in conjunction with the
svn:needs-lock property?

Simon

--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: Locking use question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Apr 26, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Simon Large wrote:

> OK, that is plausible. I will put it in with suitable caveats.

Your intuition is right, though:  95% of the time, it makes sense to
use svn:need-lock.  We just didn't want to make the locking system and
the communication system depend on each other.  They're deliberately
designed as separate systems, but are meant to work together.

Re: Locking use question

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@slarge.plus.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Simon Large wrote:
>>
>>> I am writing up a description of the locking GUI in TSVN, and having
>>> read through the SVN locking docs, it is unclear whether there are
>>> any real use cases for locking _without_ having set the
>>> svn:needs-lock property. If I lock a file it stops others checking
>>> in before me, but doesn't stop them modifying their local copies.
>>> Once I unlock, they can
>>> merge my changes in with any they have made in the meantime, which
>>> still
>>> follows the copy-modify-merge model. Is there a use for this which I
>>> may
>>> have missed, or is locking really only useful in conjunction with
>>> the svn:needs-lock property?
>>>
>> Say you do a large reorganization of the file (or reindent it or
>> something) and don't want to risk to get lots of conflicts. Then you
>> might
>> lock the file, without the svn:needs-lock property.OK, you push the
>> merge
>> burden on others, so you still have to communicate.  I'm not sure how
>> useful this will be in practice.

I thought of something like that, but then I thought that if the changes
are that sticky, I would rather do the merge myself and be sure it is
right ;-)

> Or, perhaps an admin wants to guarantee that nobody will delete a
> certain file during a 24 hour period, even though it's a text file.

OK, that is plausible. I will put it in with suitable caveats.

Thanks,

Simon

--
       ___

Re: Locking use question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Locking use question

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Simon Large wrote:

> I am writing up a description of the locking GUI in TSVN, and having
> read through the SVN locking docs, it is unclear whether there are any
> real use cases for locking _without_ having set the svn:needs-lock
> property. If I lock a file it stops others checking in before me, but
> doesn't stop them modifying their local copies. Once I unlock, they can
> merge my changes in with any they have made in the meantime, which still
> follows the copy-modify-merge model. Is there a use for this which I may
> have missed, or is locking really only useful in conjunction with the
> svn:needs-lock property?

Say you do a large reorganization of the file (or reindent it or
something) and don't want to risk to get lots of conflicts. Then you might
lock the file, without the svn:needs-lock property.OK, you push the merge
burden on others, so you still have to communicate.  I'm not sure how
useful this will be in practice.

Regards,
//Peter

Re: Locking use question

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 15:36, Simon Large wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am writing up a description of the locking GUI in TSVN, and having
> read through the SVN locking docs, it is unclear whether there are any
> real use cases for locking _without_ having set the svn:needs-lock
> property.

If everyone is simply used to locking every file before editing, they
will find out about lock conflicts without the need for svn:needs-lock
to enforce the lock-before-edit requirement on them.

Also, even if it doesn't protect anyone else, locking a file still
protects you.  If you've informed everyone else through some other
mechanism, then you might consider it their problem if they forget.