Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org> on 2000/02/15 21:02:30 UTC

Lean backend mod_perl server

Hello,

I normally build a standard build of Apache and mod_perl EVERYTHING=1.  I
want to try to build a smaller binary, so I'm testing various builds.

I can't seem to find a complete list of what each of the hooks does.  I
looked in all the INSTALL* docs, and perldoc mod_perl and perldoc Apache.
And the Eagle book.  What have I overlooked?

For example, where do I lookup what PERL_DIRECTIVE_HANDLERS does?

Also, is there another way to build that is faster if I just want to create
the binary?  This method below still copies all the header and .pm files
each time I build, which probably isn't required if I'm not going to make
install.

perl Makefile.PL \
APACHE_PREFIX=$HOME/httpd_heavy \
APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.11/src \
DO_HTTPD=1 \
PERL_METHOD_HANDLERS=1 \
USE_APACI=1 \
APACI_ARGS='--disable-module=all --enable-module=perl --enable-module=mime
--enable-module=access --enable-module=status --enable-module=log_config
--without-support'

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: Lean backend mod_perl server

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@pobox.com>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I normally build a standard build of Apache and mod_perl EVERYTHING=1.  I
> want to try to build a smaller binary, so I'm testing various builds.
>
> I can't seem to find a complete list of what each of the hooks does.  I
> looked in all the INSTALL* docs, and perldoc mod_perl and perldoc Apache.
> And the Eagle book.  What have I overlooked?

the options are listed in appendix b.

I don't think disabling these options will result in a much smaller
binary.  the major bloat is libperl.a
I'd be interested to see your results though.