Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> on 2008/02/22 01:39:48 UTC

We're Hiring: Software Developers and Project Manager

Hi everybody,

We (Open Source Strategies) are looking to hire for at least two
additional full-time positions:

1.  Software developer: we're looking for someone with significant Java
web applications development experience to help with Web 2.0 user
interfaces and business intelligence for opentaps.
2.  Project manager: someone with ERP and CRM implementation project
management experience who will be involved with both implementing
opentaps and charting a direction for it.  For the project manager
position, we need some who would be based out of Los Angeles and be able
to travel to client sites.

If you are interested, please e-mail me directly at sichen AT
opensourcestrategies DOT com

Thanks.

Si

Re: We're Hiring: Software Developers and Project Manager

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote: On a side note, I was kind of looking for a reason to explain this to
others involved in OFBiz because I feel bad about not contributing as
much or being as involved as I used to... or at least not directly. I
remember walking with Hans Bakker in Phuket, Thailand in 2004 and him
expressing how strongly he felt about how usually it is more valuable
to get someone else to do something than to do it on your own. Since
then I've been trying to figure out how and when to do that, and along
with the other people investing in the Hotwax organization this is
really happening.

I agree with Hans - there is only so much one person can do. There has to be a time when you train others to do what you do and spread the work around.

It's not like your current participation has dropped off. Instead, you have planned for it by helping to get more committers on board, and like you said - your trainees are contributing work that you would normally do yourself. So, your participation is still just as strong, only now it's more indirect.

I've found your comments and suggestions very helpful. Your participation (even when limited) continues to keep the rest of us "on track."

-Adrian

---------------------------------

Re: We're Hiring: Software Developers and Project Manager

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
You might be right Scott, as in this email Si requested people contact
him at "sichen AT opensourcestrategies DOT com".

I'd actually be interested in seeing something good/helpful come out
of this thread... who "else" in the OFBiz community is hiring or has
recently, and how are you going about it?

To get the ball rolling: at Hotwax Media we've been hiring and
training quite a few people and getting ourselves organized in order
to work more effectively with growth in demand and resources. I could
write quite a bit about that how we're organizing and running things
to leverage a wide range of skill sets and experience with those skill
sets, and it's been really interesting and we like where we're going
now in our second iteration (ie initial organization and one phase of
refinement), but that's not really the point of this thread at the
minute.

Anyway, our "crew" is now made up by about 42 employees and 4 outside
consultants working mostly full-time (but spread around the world and
hence the logistics of employment are difficult... to put it mildly).
We're hiring by looking around the in community and approaching people
directly, as well as by hiring and training. We're finding good
success hiring junior developers, training them for a few weeks and
then doing "practice" development for a few months, and then we get
them on billing projects. In order to do this we have separate
analysis and review groups that keep planning on course and results
checked on frequently (and QA'ed preemptively). Anyone who has looked
at names and other information about Hotwax has probably noticed we
have people in the US and Europe, and quite a few people in India.
This sort of dual model is working well so far, and I'm pleased with
how this training process and other things are allowing us to
contribute to OFBiz and collaborate to pursue new objectives.

On a side note, I was kind of looking for a reason to explain this to
others involved in OFBiz because I feel bad about not contributing as
much or being as involved as I used to... or at least not directly. I
remember walking with Hans Bakker in Phuket, Thailand in 2004 and him
expressing how strongly he felt about how usually it is more valuable
to get someone else to do something than to do it on your own. Since
then I've been trying to figure out how and when to do that, and along
with the other people investing in the Hotwax organization this is
really happening.

We're hiring fairly regularly now as we take on new contracts and
pursue new opportunities and investments. I'm personally hesitant to
solicit too much within the OFBiz community because I'd really like to
see lots of really strong service providers collaborating. Still, if
someone has an idea or opportunity that they would like to collaborate
on, we should talk. Community-driven open source projects are great
for collaboration on a software and design level, but also open up
opportunities to work together to all grow and improve our
organizations and there are probably lots of ways we could collaborate
economically for the benefit of all, and of course OFBiz itself too
along the way.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacopo