Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by davydany <da...@live.com> on 2009/10/12 17:06:15 UTC

Using Hadoop for File Conversion

Hi all,
I'm very new to Hadoop and I am using the Pro Hadoop book to learn. I'm
doing a project for class, where we are required to learn and use Hadoop. We
are supposed to use Hadoop for converting large amounts of photos into 3
different sizes (one is a thumbnail, next is optimized for mobile devices
and the other is stretched to fit a large screen [image quality is not our
priority here]).

I heard that NYTimes used Hadoop to convert 4TB of TIFFs into PDFs. Now, my
real question is this: Can I use hadoop for file conversion?

Thanks!

Re: Using Hadoop for File Conversion

Posted by Jason Venner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop is very well suited for file conversion.
Do you have any more specific questions?

What you might do is give your hadoop job as input, a file or set of files
containing the paths or urls to the images you wish to convert
Then in your map task, load the image file, apply your conversion and save
it to your desired location, and then output the new location path/url as
the output of your map task.

You may wish to store the image files in hadoop.