Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by sc...@us.ibm.com on 2002/03/04 18:19:01 UTC

Serial/streaming transformations proposal

An interesting proposal for serial/streaming (SAX-to-SAX) transformations
is starting to take shape at
http://www.gingerall.cz/stx/stx-draft-0.02.html.

Curious on what people think.  Probably we should try prototyping something
along these lines soon... though I would prefer basing it on a pure XSLT
subset.  Or not?

-scott

RE: Serial/streaming transformations proposal

Posted by Rick Bullotta <ri...@lighthammer.com>.
On paper, it sounds good, but in practice, our experience seems to show that
anything but the most trival stylesheets will often require some "in-memory
tree representation" to process properly.  Stylesheets that are "purely
declarative" and are focused primarily on output formatting might benefit,
although the moment any slightly complex nesting comes into play, the
implementation complexity of a code to support a serial transformation seems
to go up exponentially!

Rick Bullotta
CTO
Lighthammer Software (www.lighthammer.com)