Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by "Holderby, Brandon" <BH...@roseville.ca.us> on 2023/06/21 15:46:31 UTC

Having a tough time with new recording method

Hello again,

We have upgraded to Guac 1.5.1 and have attempted to use the new in-browser video recordings.
We previously used the guac encoder to process the videos into m4v and then had a timed script to move the recordings to a nas for viewing the videos remotely.
The new recording feature looked interesting and we wanted to try it out.

I believe I have all the settings correct (for local recordings) although I never see recordings in the history tab

I believe it has something to do with the user chowned to the folder. (How do I see what user runs guacd?)

Here are some snips of the current settings-
Any input is appreciated

[cid:image003.jpg@01D9A41C.DFA0FED0]

[cid:image005.jpg@01D9A41C.DFA0FED0]

[cid:image007.jpg@01D9A41C.DFA0FED0]

Our old screen recording/processing method

[cid:image010.jpg@01D9A41C.DFA0FED0]

[cid:image011.jpg@01D9A41C.DFA0FED0]
Brandon Holderby
Electric Technology Systems, Technician
Roseville Electric Utility
Cell: 916-200-9845

RE: Having a tough time with new recording method

Posted by "Holderby, Brandon" <BH...@roseville.ca.us>.
Finally seeing some videos

[cid:image002.png@01D9A44C.C5A0F4B0]

[cid:image001.jpg@01D9A44D.4B116AD0]

Not sure what was wrong with the permissions on the other folder that was created, I just made a new landing spot for the videos and it seems to be working.

I can see the drive usage possibly filling up with videos being all locally on the machines’ drive, I guess a task that runs daily to purge files “x” amount of days ago?

Thanks again for the replies

Posted by "Holderby, Brandon" <BH...@roseville.ca.us>.
Getting closer

[cid:image001.jpg@01D9A42F.48016750]

Brandon

[cid:image005.jpg@01D9A42F.47FF4470]

[cid:image006.jpg@01D9A42F.47FF4470]

[cid:image007.jpg@01D9A42F.47FF4470]

[cid:image001.jpg@01D9A429.3C248120]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D9A429.3C248120]

[cid:image003.jpg@01D9A429.3C248120]

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Holderby, Brandon" <BH...@roseville.ca.us>.
Thanks for the reply!

I did have this ready for use, was just testing local recordings first.

[cid:image003.jpg@01D9A427.CF28D5E0]

Correct, I don’t see any recordings at all? (in the folder)

[cid:image005.jpg@01D9A427.CF28D5E0]

[cid:image007.jpg@01D9A427.CF28D5E0]

Sorry for the silly question, what kind out output would I be looking for in the logs?

Thanks again,

Brandon

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 11:46 AM Holderby, Brandon <BH...@roseville.ca.us>> wrote:
Hello again,

We have upgraded to Guac 1.5.1 and have attempted to use the new in-browser video recordings.
We previously used the guac encoder to process the videos into m4v and then had a timed script to move the recordings to a nas for viewing the videos remotely.
The new recording feature looked interesting and we wanted to try it out.

I believe I have all the settings correct (for local recordings) although I never see recordings in the history tab

I believe it has something to do with the user chowned to the folder. (How do I see what user runs guacd?)

If you list the contents of the /var/lib/guacamole/recordings folder, are the recordings being created? If so, then the user running guacd has access and is fine; if not, that may be your issue.

To see the user running guacd, do "ps -ef|grep guacd" - the user is the first column.

Also, you don't necessarily have to switch to using the /var/lib/guacamole/recordings directory - if you already have a place to store recordings, you can continue to use that, you just need to set the recording-search-path property in guacamole.properties to that location and make sure both the Tomcat user (or group) and the guacd user (or group) have correct access to that folder.

If you still have trouble, look at logs for both Tomcat and guacd and see if any errors are being logged, either when the recording is created (guacd) or Guacamole Client and the history extension are loaded (Tomcat).

-Nick

Re: Having a tough time with new recording method

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.