Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2001/06/26 17:21:08 UTC

Re: JAMES::SMTPHandler

I've redirected your message on the projects' dev listserv, since as a
general rule, authors don't like to be contacted directly (if they have the
time and interest still, they'll be on the listserv.)

As for your question, James does currently require the FROM address.  This
was an early design flaw (by me) that we haven't yet addressed.  It is
systemic since much of the code is expecting a FROM address, and it is hard
to determine which code needs to change.

It's also unclear of the best way to support this... a sender is required to
put MAIL FROM: <> (the command is required) and this is in effect a
special-case email address.  Rather than allowing a null value for the
sender, it might be better to classify this as a special constant email
address.  How exactly to code and support this is also unclear.

If you have suggestions on how to address this, I would encourage you to
continue this discussion on this listserv.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/