Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/05 17:02:22 UTC

Re: Apache Drill 1.15 EOL Inquiry

Hi,

The mailing list that you sent your question to goes to the open source
community that develops Apache Drill. This community is supported/a part of
the Apache Software Foundation which is a public benefit charity whose
mission is the development of software for the public good. None of the
contributors to Apache projects like Drill are paid by Apache foundation.

As such, the Apache Software Foundation does not provide commercial levels
of support for any of the software that it produces. Many community members
will provide some level of support for questions and problems asked on
email lists, but this is not the same as a committed support relationship.
As such, it is difficult to define an end of life point for a version of
Drill. There is typically a community consensus about which older versions
are unlikely to get updates, but if there is significant usage of a
particular version, it is still likely  to receive security updates
regardless of age.

There is at least one company that provides commercial support for Apache
Drill. Any questions of have about support should be directed to them. I
can facilitate such a conversation if you would like to contact me directly
(possibly by just responding to this email), but such a conversation is
off-topic for the Apache project, so it would be good if you remove the
users@ address from your followup.