Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Claxton <wi...@knowledgeplatform.com> on 2005/12/20 17:20:39 UTC

Apache Portable Runtime not found on the java.library.path

Running Java JDK 1.4.  After upgrading to Tomcat 5.5 I get this
error.  I have also installed the compatability upgrade for the Java Runtime.

"The Apache Portable Runtime which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path."

Any suggestion on how to resolve this?

Regards, Bill Claxton (williamc@knowledgeplatform.com)
MSN: william_claxton@passport.com
Skype: william_claxton@skype.com
Blog: http://learningweb.blogspot.com

Re: Apache Portable Runtime not found on the java.library.path : Take Two

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@unc.edu>.
William Claxton wrote:
> Running Java JDK 1.4.  After upgrading to Tomcat 5.5 I get this error.
> I have also installed the compatability upgrade for the Java Runtime.
>
> "The Apache Portable Runtime which allows optimal performance in
> production environments was not found on the java.library.path."

or, if you don't know from APR and all that business, you might also
just comment out the following Listener in server.xml:

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" />

It's lots less work than compiling APR and the native tomcat connector
for it =)

AC

Re: Apache Portable Runtime not found on the java.library.path, resolved

Posted by William Claxton <wi...@knowledgeplatform.com>.
At 02:46 AM 12/21/2005, Adam Constabaris wrote:
>FTP wrote:
>>I face the same problem with:
>>Tomcat 5.5.12
>>jdk: 1.5.06
>>and cannot find the library you suggest in order to include it!
>
>APR integration isn't yet fully part of the Tomcat distribution, as
>far as I can tell (I think it's misleading of them to enable the APR
>listener on startup, because it makes you think you're supposed to use it).
>
>I'm not sure how stable the Tomcat developers consider the APR
>integration, so if you're at all concerned about that, it's probably
>easier to just comment out the Listener instead.
>
>If you want to use the APR libraries, first read
>http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/apr.html to see if there are
>precompiled binaries for your platform (Windows only, AFAICT).  If not,
>
>(a) install APR (http://apr.apache.org); if you use Linux, your
>distribution may ship the APR in a package.
>
>(b) compile libtcnative-1.so by unpacking
>$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat-native.tar.gz and following (most of) the
>instructions there; NOTE if you don't need openSSL support, be
>warned that --without-ssl switch did not work for me with
>tomcat-native-1.1.0 (ships with 5.5.12; 1.1.1 with 5.5.14-beta did
>honor that switch).
>
>HTH
>
>AC

Thank you all.  I was able to recreate and resolve the problem on
another machine (not the production server).  Here's the procedure I followed.

1. Clean install of JRE 1.4.2_03. This is intentionally an older
version to recreate environment on the production machine.

2. Clean install of Tomcat 5.5.14.
During installation, initially encountered the error: "Failed to
install Tomcat 5 service. Check your settings and permissions".  This
was due to fact that, after uninstalling previous version of Tomcat,
the Windows service was marked for deletion but not removed.  I ran
the INSTSRV utility to remove the service, but it
failed.  Apparently, this issue was encountered only because the
Windows Services manager was open on the desktop.  After closing and
reopening, the service was gone, and Tomcat could install normally.

3. Starting Tomcat encounter the JVM error:
"This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0 or
later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and installing a
compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat binary download page."

4. Deployed the compatability patch (by copying the files into Tomcat
'bin' and 'common' folders).

5. Restarting Tomcat encountered the APR error:
"The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path".

6. Edited Tomcat 'server.xml' (in the 'conf' folder).  Removed the line:
   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" />

7. Restarting Tomcat, everything works fine!

Posted by FTP <ft...@atalos.com>.
just for the records, indeed disabling the APR listener is solving the problem.

Just tried out and it works.

Thanks very much for your support

George

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@unc.edu>.

Posted by FTP <ft...@atalos.com>.
I face the same problem with:

Tomcat 5.5.12
jdk: 1.5.06

and cannot find the library you suggest in order to include it!

Any hint why?

Thanks

George

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@unc.edu>.