Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@chello.at> on 2007/10/19 16:53:50 UTC

[orchestra] version numbering

Hi,

Orchestra has 5 maven modules: maven, core, core15, sandbox and examples.

We have recently had a 1.0 release of "maven" plus "core" modules.

Matthias has recently updated version-numbers in poms, with comment "fix wrong versions", but I'm not sure the change made is the right one. The change has updated all poms of the other modules to be 1.1-SNAPSHOT. But what exactly is the intention with version numbering for Orchestra?

Are releases for all modules going to be bundled together?

Or is each module going to be released on its own lifecycle (in which case updating the other poms was not correct)?

ie soon core15 will be released (hopefully). Is this release going to be:
a) "core15-1.0", with core not being re-released, or
b) "core15-1.1" plus "core1.1", even if core has not changed?

I think (a) is easier, and I believe this is also what was agreed in discussions during the core release threads.

If this is the general agreement, then perhaps we should revert the changes to the poms for core15, examples and sandbox..

And ideally I think modules should depend on the 1.0 parent pom, rather than a 1.1-SNAPSHOT parent pom unless there really is some change to the parent pom. This makes things easier to build.

I'll make the following changes in a couple of days unless there are objections. Note that I am not a maven guru, so might have got something wrong here. Please let me know if I have..or if people think versioning should be done in a different way..

====
Add the following to the top-level pom.xml, reset version to 1.0-SNAPSHOT:

<!--
  - Site and Reactor pom for the Orchestra family of maven modules.
  -
  - Note that this pom is NOT the parent pom of any of the modules that this file builds. They therefore
  - do not inherit any settings from this file; see the "maven" module for those common settings. This
  - file just allows easy building of all the modules, and controls generation of the "top-level" website.
  -
  - Because this is not a dependency of any module, it is expected that this pom itself will never be "released".
  - It will therefore stay at version 1.0-snapshot forever.
  -
  - To build all orchestra code and install into your local maven repository, run "mvn install".
  -
  - The Orchestra modules are released on independent lifecycles; there are "core", "core15" etc releases,
  - but no "all of Orchestra" release. There is therefore no mvn task defined to build a single tgz/zip
  - file; instead run "mvn assembly:assembly" within each module to generate the download bundle for that i
  - module.
  -->

====
Make core, core15, sandbox and examples depend on myfaces-orchestra-maven 1.0, not 1.1-SNAPSHOT.

Unless something *needs* an unreleased feature of the myfaces-orchestra-maven, why depend on it?

And in particular, when core15 is released, it cannot depend on a SNAPSHOT, so then either needs to be rewound back to depending on 1.0, or myfaces-orchestra-maven 1.1 needs to be released.
====
Reset sandbox to depend on core15 1.0-snapshot.

====
Oddly, core15, sandbox and examples currently do not have a version# in the pom. I guess they are inheriting
the one from the parent, but that isn't right AIUI: the parent pom is being used here just to control
what reports, buildsettings, etc are used - not defining the actual version of the module being built.

So, set version# in the poms for core15, sandbox and examples to 1.0-SNAPSHOT.
====
Note that the pom.xml for modules "maven" and "core" will be left at 1.1-SNAPSHOT of course. There are
released 1.0 versions of these modules (unlike the others).

Regards,

Simon

Re: [orchestra] version numbering

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 17:48 +0200, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> >> ie soon core15 will be released (hopefully). Is this release going to be:
> >> a) "core15-1.0", with core not being re-released, or
> >>
> +1

> >> Reset sandbox to depend on core15 1.0-snapshot.
> >>
> The sandbox and the examples should always use the latest snapshots. I
> think we will never release the sandbox nor the examples, no?
Yes.

> So - to sum up what I think it should look like:
>
> * everything depends on maven 1.0
> * core15 on core 1.0 - core15 should be released as core15 1.0
> * examples, sandbox depends on core15 1.0-snapshot and core 1.1-snapshot

Ok, the commit I've just made hopefully implements that.

Cheers,

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> But at least some poms needed to be updated and my understand was, that
> core and core15 were released together. This morning I learned the truth

In fact I think it was my fault as Matthias told me that there is
something wrong with the poms and I haven't thought about it any further.

> On 10/19/07, Simon Kitching <si...@chello.at> wrote:
>
>> ie soon core15 will be released (hopefully). Is this release going to be:
>> a) "core15-1.0", with core not being re-released, or

+1
>> b) "core15-1.1" plus "core1.1", even if core has not changed?

-1

>> Make core, core15, sandbox and examples depend on myfaces-orchestra-maven 1.0, not 1.1-SNAPSHOT.

+1
>> Reset sandbox to depend on core15 1.0-snapshot.

The sandbox and the examples should always use the latest snapshots. I
think we will never release the sandbox nor the examples, no?

>> ====
>> Oddly, core15, sandbox and examples currently do not have a version# in the pom. I guess they are inheriting
>> the one from the parent, but that isn't right AIUI: the parent pom is being used here just to control
>> what reports, buildsettings, etc are used - not defining the actual version of the module being built.

Yep, this is something I discovered during the release process and then
forgot to change the other modules.

So - to sum up what I think it should look like:

* everything depends on maven 1.0
* core15 on core 1.0 - core15 should be released as core15 1.0
* examples, sandbox depends on core15 1.0-snapshot and core 1.1-snapshot

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [orchestra] version numbering

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
It might be true, that the "fix" wasn't right.
But at least some poms needed to be updated and my understand was, that
core and core15 were released together. This morning I learned the truth

feel free to reset, but I got build exceptions, since I had a somewhat
clean repo with no legacy orachestra-1.x-SNAPSHOT, my understanding
was
"Oh, they released 1.0 already, but they are still depending on 1.0-SNAP"...

Hope that explains it.

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf