Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/03/02 03:20:52 UTC

[vote] Trying to use standard versioning

Hi,

The impetus for this is wanting to release the surefire plugin that
has a tiny bug in it. We are versioning our Maven release
major.minor.micro so why don't we do the same with our plugin and
treat everything like we're going to do small incremental releases
like we should be doing. I would like to change all the versions on
plugin to follow the major.minor.micro format starting with the
surefire plugin.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: [vote] Trying to use standard versioning

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.
+1

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 with the same remark about not having the trailing .0 on the first
release.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
my late +1

Vincent

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Mar 07, at 10:10 PM 1 Mar 07, Brian E. Fox wrote:

Alphas and betas happen before a stable stream. So we have 2.0.4,
2.0.5, but as we progress toward 2.1 we will have 2.1-alpha-1 ...,
2.1-beta-1 ..., then 2.1.0, 2.1.1 and so on.

Jason.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
Hopefully there won't be anymore! Please!

I think the alpha/beta not-so-stable releases should be a thing of the
past and avoided altogether. If code's not ready to be released, then
don't release it.

-Nathan

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
sounds great, +1

Stéphane

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Arnaud

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> Kenney Westerhof wrote:
>> +1, as long as it's done like this:
>>
>> - use major.minor on trunk
>> - major.[minor+1] is either api breaking or has new features
>> - bugfixes should be major.minor.micro, from a maintenance branch for
>> major.minor.
>
> Minor releases can't break APIs, we agreed on that a long time ago.
> Minor releases can only add functionality.

Ok.

>> so -0 on bugfix versions in the poms on trunk.
>
> I don't understand why you don't want to keep the mainline work on
> trunk? When 2.1 is release should we branch it into /branches/2.1.x
> immediately and leave trunk/ dead for 6 months?

yes and no, we should continue working on 2.2, new features.
2.1.x is maintenance and only has to be used for bugfix releases, which should
(in an ideal world) not happen ;)

Also, it was decided that bugfixes should happen on trunk first, then be backported
to the branch. (unless that has been reversed?)

It's consistent with maven itself. We have 2.1-snap on trunk now, as we had
2.0-snap before. When 2.0 was released it was moved to a maintanance branch.
This approach is documented on the wiki, and I say we stick to it, even for
other maven top level projects.

-- Kenney

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

standardize 'em

On 3/1/07, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> I'm running into the same thing with the remote-resources.  A one line fix
> shouldn't be a whole +0.1.
>
> Dan
>

> On Thursday 01 March 2007 21:20, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The impetus for this is wanting to release the surefire plugin that
> > has a tiny bug in it. We are versioning our Maven release
> > major.minor.micro so why don't we do the same with our plugin and
> > treat everything like we're going to do small incremental releases
> > like we should be doing. I would like to change all the versions on
> > plugin to follow the major.minor.micro format starting with the
> > surefire plugin.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason.

> J. Daniel Kulp
> Principal Engineer
> IONA
> P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
> daniel.kulp@iona.com
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

Re: [vote] Trying to use standard versioning

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
+1

I'm running into the same thing with the remote-resources.  A one line fix
shouldn't be a whole +0.1.

Dan

On Thursday 01 March 2007 21:20, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The impetus for this is wanting to release the surefire plugin that
> has a tiny bug in it. We are versioning our Maven release
> major.minor.micro so why don't we do the same with our plugin and
> treat everything like we're going to do small incremental releases
> like we should be doing. I would like to change all the versions on
> plugin to follow the major.minor.micro format starting with the
> surefire plugin.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason.

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [vote] Trying to use standard versioning

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.