Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com> on 2001/04/01 04:07:19 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apr/build aplibtool.c

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:44:59PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Brian Havard wrote:
> > > Yeah, that's more how I see it. It's only really intended for OS/2 & maybe
> > > a few other platforms that aren't supported by libtool. I wasn't trying to
> > > start a revolution....
> >
> > I think it's significant that there are (so far) 2 work-arounds
> > in place for libtool,

I think it's significant that one of these work-arounds does
not currently work. Try compiling from today's CVS like so:

% .../subversion/configure --disable-shared --enable-debug

% make
 ../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta.la
../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr.la
../../apr/libapr.la
/home/mo/project/build/subversion/apr/shmem/unix/mm/libmm.la
../../expat-lite/libexpat.la -lm -lcrypt -lnsl  -ldl
-L/home/mo/project/build/subversion/db/dist -ldb
gcc: /home/mo/project/build/subversion/neon/src/.libs/.libs/libneon.a: No such file or directory
gcc: /home/mo/project/build/subversion/subversion/libsvn_fs/.libs/.libs/libsvn_fs.a: No such file or directory
gcc: /home/mo/project/build/subversion/subversion/libsvn_delta/.libs/.libs/libsvn_delta.a: No such file or directory
gcc: /home/mo/project/build/subversion/subversion/libsvn_subr/.libs/.libs/libsvn_subr.a: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [svn] Error 1

> > and that libtool has somewhat consistantly
> > been the only real thorn in our build environment. :)
>
> Is was initially. Things seem pretty fine now.

See above.

> > I like how both basically are there to reduce libtool down to
> > the bare requirements we need it for: (1) determine how to
> > created loadable modules and (2) create archives.
>
> If we have a replacement tool that can do that across as many platforms as
> libtool, then it may have a shot at being used. But until then, it would be
> quite a regression in functionality to drop libtool.

I would agree that not using libtool on Unix might be a bad
idea. What about Windows? Has anyone tried to get the
./configure based build system working under Windows?
I have done this sort of thing in an unrelated project
and had nothing but problems creating dlls under Windows
with libtool.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc