Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by chad kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2002/10/07 15:10:05 UTC

startup as www

Hi everyone,

    previously I had my startup script ( /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat) start
the tomcat server like so:

<code>

#!/bin/sh
#
case "$1" in
start)
        echo -n "Starting TomCat 4 and httpd:"
        su - www -c "/usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh"
        sleep 5
        /etc/httpd/bin/apachectl start
        /usr/local/apache-ssl/bin/apachectl startssl
        ;;
restart)
        /etc/httpd/bin/apachectl stop
        /usr/local/apache-ssl/bin/apachectl stop
        echo -n "Stopping TomCat 4 and httpd:"
        su - www -c "/usr/local/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh"
        sleep 5
        echo -n "Restarting TomCat 4 and httpd:"
        su - www -c "/usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh"
        sleep 5
        /etc/httpd/bin/apachectl start
        /usr/local/apache-ssl/bin/apachectl startssl
        ;;
stop)
        /etc/httpd/bin/apachectl stop
        /usr/local/apache-ssl/bin/apachectl stop
        echo -n "Stopping TomCat 4 and httpd:"
        su - www -c "/usr/local/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh"
        sleep 5
        ;;
*)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

</code>

but since I moved it to RH 7.3 it prompts for a password.  Does anyone
know a way aroung this?  I would like the tomcat server to run as user
www and not prompt for a password.

thanks,.
--chad

Re: startup as www

Posted by Kent Perrier <kp...@ev1.net>.
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:10:05AM -0400, chad kellerman wrote:
> but since I moved it to RH 7.3 it prompts for a password.  Does anyone
> know a way aroung this?  I would like the tomcat server to run as user
> www and not prompt for a password.

Run the script as root.

Kent