Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Rudolf Zundel <zu...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/09 07:53:33 UTC

Query optimizer contribution

[I’ve already sent this email once before subscribing, so please ignore if you received it twice]

Dear Phoenix devs!

I'm currently doing my master's degree at Budapest University of Technology and Economics, and chose OLTP systems development at one of my courses. What I'd like to achieve is to contribute to the Phoenix query optimizer in the following 6-12 months.

Could you recommend a learning curve, possibly with materials I should read regarding this topic? Also, what kind of tasks should I do first, bugfixes or new, smaller features? How can I get feedback if I'm ready for contributing to more sensitive parts of the application?

Thank you in advance!

Rudolf Zundel

Re: Query optimizer contribution

Posted by Daniel Wong <db...@apache.org>.
Hi Rudolf, we have some appropriate intro items labeled in JIRA though I
think it has been awhile since we have curated it.  You can see something
like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-6017?jql=project%20%3D%20PHOENIX%20AND%20labels%20in%20(n00b%2C%20beginner%2C%20Beginner%2C%20beginner-friendly%2C%20beginners%2C%20beginnner%2C%20Newbie%2C%20newbie)

I'd start with one of those and I'm happy to invite you to the asf Phoenix
slack which a few of us monitor if you had some adhoc questions, however,
most of the communication would be through dev, JIRA or on the github
reviews in general.  We unfortunately don't really have the best
documentation for new devs but I do have this JIRA which
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-4877?filter=-1 that has a
linked pdf doc that I haven't had time to put on the website proper which
covers 1/2 of the planning at an extremely high level.  I wrote this when I
was first learning about phoenix so hopefully it is readable and relevant.