Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by "Jaeger, Jay" <ja...@dot.state.wi.us> on 2007/10/01 14:54:28 UTC

RE: any news about new version of synapse?

I would like to add my voice to those who have expressed interest in JDBC as
an interface/transport for synapse.

We have a number of systems in our organization which interact in an
unstructured way, by reading from and writing to each others' databases.  We
have found that in trying to institute more of an SOA approach, that it has
been very hard to convince projects to invest even modest amounts of time to
build or user service interfaces.  The single biggest reason I am following
developments of synapse is a hope that if we could expose those databases in
a more structured way, by coupling an HTTP service to a JDBC SQL Query (with
data in our out) we could "lift" these interactions out of application code
into service interfaces without having to write code.  Once we have some
services, the client side requesting the service will probably fall into
place, and once we do that, then I think it will be easier to get folks to
define higher level service interfaces.

But we have to start somewhere, and getting started has proved challenging.

I would a;lso point out the need for some higher level documentation /
tutorial.  The tutorial is great for installation verification, and as code
examples, but is not so great for trying to figure out what synapse might
actually be good for, or for understanding what all the pieces do.  (For
example, a newbie might ask, what the heck is Axis2, anyway....).
Ordinarily, it is the kind of thing I might volunteer to dig in and do, but
with a full time "day job" plus teaching a 3 credit course at the local tech
school in Linux (with labs and all that -- coming to another 12 hours/week
including class time), I just won't have the time.

JRJ

Re: any news about new version of synapse?

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the feedback and all the comments. These JDBC mediators are still
new to Synapse and we need to add documentation for those. Plus I think your
point is valid and we need to write some tutorials on Synapse. We will do
some tutorials ASAP after the 1.1 release and let this list know so that
everyone can have a look.

BTW: have you looked at the Data Services stuff [1][2] that Asankha has
pointed in this thread. I think dataservices may be with synapse mediation
will solve your problem easily.

[1] - http://wso2.org/library/2617
[2] - http://wso2.org/library/2631

Thanks,
Ruwan

On 10/1/07, Jaeger, Jay <ja...@dot.state.wi.us> wrote:

> I would like to add my voice to those who have expressed interest in JDBC
> as
> an interface/transport for synapse.
>
> We have a number of systems in our organization which interact in an
> unstructured way, by reading from and writing to each others'
> databases.  We
> have found that in trying to institute more of an SOA approach, that it
> has
> been very hard to convince projects to invest even modest amounts of time
> build or user service interfaces.  The single biggest reason I am
> following
> developments of synapse is a hope that if we could expose those databases
> in
> a more structured way, by coupling an HTTP service to a JDBC SQL Query
> (with
> data in our out) we could "lift" these interactions out of application
> code
> into service interfaces without having to write code.  Once we have some
> services, the client side requesting the service will probably fall into
> place, and once we do that, then I think it will be easier to get folks to
> define higher level service interfaces.
>
> But we have to start somewhere, and getting started has proved
> challenging.
>
> I would a;lso point out the need for some higher level documentation /
> tutorial.  The tutorial is great for installation verification, and as
> code
> examples, but is not so great for trying to figure out what synapse might
> actually be good for, or for understanding what all the pieces do.  (For
> example, a newbie might ask, what the heck is Axis2, anyway....).
> Ordinarily, it is the kind of thing I might volunteer to dig in and do,
> but
> with a full time "day job" plus teaching a 3 credit course at the local
> tech
> school in Linux (with labs and all that -- coming to another 12 hours/week
> including class time), I just won't have the time.
>
> JRJ

Ruwan Linton

Re: any news about new version of synapse?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jay

Great feedback! Thanks!

> I would a;lso point out the need for some higher level documentation /
> tutorial.  The tutorial is great for installation verification, and as code
> examples, but is not so great for trying to figure out what synapse might
> actually be good for, or for understanding what all the pieces do.  (For
> example, a newbie might ask, what the heck is Axis2, anyway....).
> Ordinarily, it is the kind of thing I might volunteer to dig in and do.

Jay, how about helping scope out what's needed? I'd love to understand
what you think is missing. I'd be happy to write the actual material,
but its always a matter of prioritization.

Paul
--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair