Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ew...@vividsolutions.com on 2001/10/02 00:28:44 UTC

Tomcat 4.0 specification compliance

Hi There,

How compliant is Tomcat 4.0 with the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications?

the Jakarta site specifies that:

" Version 4.0 implements the final released versions of the Servlet 2.3 and
JSP 1.2 specifications"

I guess that I am wondering at the use of the wording "implements" I have
also been looking at the
JRun site and they use 2-3 words to describe their adherence to the
specifications
("implements", "supports" and I think "uses") and we have had issues using
some of the features of
the specification with JRun.

Thanks

Eric Wright, Programmer / Analyst
Vivid Solutions Inc.
INTERNET : ewright@VividSolutions.com

Re: Tomcat 4.0 specification compliance

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 ewright@vividsolutions.com wrote:

> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:28:44 -0700
> From: ewright@vividsolutions.com
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat 4.0 specification compliance
>
> Hi There,
>
> How compliant is Tomcat 4.0 with the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications?

If Tomcat 4 doesn't implement 100% of the "MUST" features in these
specifications, that is a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.  Tomcat 4 is
used as the web container portion of the J2EE 1.3 reference
implementation, and it passes all the current spec compliance tests.

Beyond the required features, Tomcat 4 implements a very large percentage
of the optional features - details would depend on which particular
feature you are interested in.

Craig McClanahan