Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/09/06 06:04:30 UTC

Updated Docs for Tomcat 4

I've just posted an update on the documentation that will be included in
the Tomcat 4.0 final release.  This is available online at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc-exp/

Highlights of the recent additions to the documentation include:

* Server Configuration Reference is nearly complete (only a few
  more missing pages).

* Class Loader HOW-TO explains how the class loaders in Tomcat 4
  are implemented, and where you should put your classes to make
  them available to web applications.

* Manager HOW-TO documents the use of the Manager web application
  for dynamically deploying and undeploying web applications
  without restarting Tomcat.

* Realm HOW-TO document for the three standard Realm implementations
  (JDBCRealm, JNDIRealm (!), and MemoryRealm).

Things still on the TODO list:

* Configuration instructions for populating the JNDI context that
  is provided to web applications (such as connection pools).

* Configuration of the built-in servlets provided with Tomcat 4
  that are configured from $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.

* Configuration of the mod_webapp connector (in the same style as
  the rest of the Tomcat 4 docs).

* Other things that people tell us are still missing -- but it's
  more likely to get done if you offer actual documents instead
  of just suggestions :-)

Craig McClanahan

Re: Updated Docs for Tomcat 4

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> I've just posted an update on the documentation that will be included in
> the Tomcat 4.0 final release.  This is available online at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc-exp/
>
> Highlights of the recent additions to the documentation include:
>
> * Server Configuration Reference is nearly complete (only a few
>   more missing pages).
>
> * Class Loader HOW-TO explains how the class loaders in Tomcat 4
>   are implemented, and where you should put your classes to make
>   them available to web applications.
>
> * Manager HOW-TO documents the use of the Manager web application
>   for dynamically deploying and undeploying web applications
>   without restarting Tomcat.
>
> * Realm HOW-TO document for the three standard Realm implementations
>   (JDBCRealm, JNDIRealm (!), and MemoryRealm).
>
> Things still on the TODO list:
>
> * Configuration instructions for populating the JNDI context that
>   is provided to web applications (such as connection pools).
>
> * Configuration of the built-in servlets provided with Tomcat 4
>   that are configured from $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.
>
> * Configuration of the mod_webapp connector (in the same style as
>   the rest of the Tomcat 4 docs).
>
> * Other things that people tell us are still missing -- but it's
>   more likely to get done if you offer actual documents instead
>   of just suggestions :-)

Missing:  Using the Java SecurityManager (tomcat-security.html)

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Updated Docs for Tomcat 4

Posted by Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com>.
on 9/5/01 9:04 PM, Craig R. McClanahan at craigmcc@apache.org wrote:

> Things still on the TODO list:
>
> * Configuration instructions for populating the JNDI context that
> is provided to web applications (such as connection pools).

Erg...ack...grr! I looked at the latest docs up there...so close! I really
want to know how to make connection pools!

Anyway, keep it up. It's coming together.

Thanks!

Roderick Mann               rmann @ latencyzero.com.sansspam

Re: Updated Docs for Tomcat 4

Posted by Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com>.