Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by H....@MI.unimaas.nl on 2004/12/17 09:06:06 UTC

Orbeon vs Cocoon?

Guys,

Has anyone of you looked at Orbeon (www.orbeon.com)? I came across the site
when looking for eXist info and found a comparison to Cocoon, an old version
of Cocoon looking at the comparison result.

Right now it looks like the website is down. At least I can't get to it.

Bye, Helma

Re: Orbeon vs Cocoon?

Posted by Micah Dubinko <md...@snapbridge.com>.
FYI, the Orbeon stuff is LGPL since about September.

http://www.orbeon.com/company/pr-oss-announcement

.micah

Re: Orbeon vs Cocoon?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Helma,

> ...Has anyone of you looked at Orbeon (www.orbeon.com)?..

There have been discussions here from time to time, search for OXF in
the mailing lists archives.

I've talked to one of their head developers a while ago (hmm....two
years I think, time flies ;-) and my impression was that they were
trying to cover more or less the same needs than Cocoon, but from a
"we're a commercial company" perspective, which IIUC they believed
would be more likely to be accepted by Fortune 500 folks.

As we know, this is not the case, Fortune 500 companies prefer open
source ;-)

Only half-kidding here. I don't know where Orbeon as a company stands
now (and I wish them all the best, honest), but it seems like companies
which have gone the open source route have been very happy in 2004. It
is my case (as a micro-company of one ;-), and I'm certainly not alone
given the kind of success stories that we heard at the GT2004.

Dunno what the OXF license is today, at the time it was closed.
The Wayback Machine helps if their website is down:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.orbeon.com

-Bertrand