Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/12/16 13:29:28 UTC

[HEADSUP] v2 will be not working anymore

...as soon I commit my *unfinished* rewrite from v2 contracts to the
dispatcherTransfomer conform once.

I started to rewrite all contracts but till now I only finished around 5
or 6. I am doing this with the test.dispatcher link.

Since I am moving all templates from the plugins to the v2 template-site
(to not interfere with the v2 plugins till I finished all contracts and
then to switch to the transformer in this plugins) all other pages from
v2 seed are not working anymore because they using the project contracts
and not the default plugin once anymore (our fallback mechanism is too
good ;-)).

So can we live with this or should I finish rewriting them on my
harddrive and then check them in?

Like said as soon I check them in the only links that are working for
the v2 seed are the once prefixed with "test"!!! Which is breaking trunk
for the v2 seed.

wdyt?
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [HEADSUP] v2 will be not working anymore

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El dom, 18-12-2005 a las 13:15 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > To "just" create v3 was much more efficient and demonstrates the
> > strength of the dispatcher.
>
> And using these version numbers is getting very confusing and
> misleading. You are using major version numbers and we haven't even
> moved out of whiteboard yet. It should really be 0.3 and why use the "v"
> when it is no longer acalled views.
>
> All this is just confusing.

Yeah, agree.

v3, because it is views version 3. Why version 3 and not 0.3? We had
three major changes in the plugin regarding the underlying
architecture.

Maybe we should rename v3 to dispatcher when we finished rewriting the
pelt contracts.

> >>I'm thinking, branch, hack, test, merge.
>
> +1
>
> > Actually I was faster. ;-) There is v3 in the trunk which is working
> > with the new dispatcher transformer. I have not announced it because
> > till now it supports only the common theme and not yet the pelt theme
> > (we need to port the remaining contracts to v3). Another point is that I
> > want to base v3 on xhtml2 documents instead of xdocs. I am working ATM
> > on this.

Actually v3 supports now xhtml2 the only thing missing before the big
cleanup of Ross confusion ;-) (removing all view related stuff and add
the final dispatcher plugin) is the pelt theme update.

> Oh, well... for future reference I am with Mark on this one (as I was
> when you started the v2 work).

Hmm, ok I will consider it in the future.

salu2

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El sáb, 17-12-2005 a las 11:25 -0800, Mark Eggers escribió:
>
>>Thorsten,
>>
>>I don't know how comfortable you are with subversion.
>>Wouldn't a branch be good for this?

We have discussed branching many times recently. This is a perfect
situation for branching.

We have agreed we want a stable trunk.

A stable trunk means this should be done in a branch and then merged.
This is an ideal candidate for a branch. You know it will break things,
you know where the end point is and you know that other devs are trying
to keep up with things.

Of course, doing it all local and committing when ready is also an
option, but then you remove the opportunity for others to contribute if
they have the itch.

> Yes, I generally agree to use a branch for radical changes which
> interfere with a unknown quantity of components. Since one of the aims
> of the dispatcher is to provide enhanced maintenance behavior there is
> actually no need to create a whole copy of forrest when we are changing
> 1% of the code.

That is on of the major advantages of svn over cvs. When you branch and
use "svn switch" you only create copies of the files that change.
everything else remains the same. Switching between a branch and trunk
is extremely quick.

> To "just" create v3 was much more efficient and demonstrates the
> strength of the dispatcher.

And using these version numbers is getting very confusing and
misleading. You are using major version numbers and we haven't even
moved out of whiteboard yet. It should really be 0.3 and why use the "v"
when it is no longer acalled views.

All this is just confusing.

>>I'm thinking, branch, hack, test, merge.

+1

> Actually I was faster. ;-) There is v3 in the trunk which is working
> with the new dispatcher transformer. I have not announced it because
> till now it supports only the common theme and not yet the pelt theme
> (we need to port the remaining contracts to v3). Another point is that I
> want to base v3 on xhtml2 documents instead of xdocs. I am working ATM
> on this.

Oh, well... for future reference I am with Mark on this one (as I was
when you started the v2 work).

Ross

Ross

Re: [HEADSUP] v2 will be not working anymore

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El sáb, 17-12-2005 a las 11:25 -0800, Mark Eggers escribió:
> Thorsten,
>
> I don't know how comfortable you are with subversion.
> Wouldn't a branch be good for this?

Yes, I generally agree to use a branch for radical changes which
interfere with a unknown quantity of components. Since one of the aims
of the dispatcher is to provide enhanced maintenance behavior there is
actually no need to create a whole copy of forrest when we are changing
1% of the code.

To "just" create v3 was much more efficient and demonstrates the
strength of the dispatcher.

> I'm thinking, branch, hack, test, merge.

Actually I was faster. ;-) There is v3 in the trunk which is working
with the new dispatcher transformer. I have not announced it because
till now it supports only the common theme and not yet the pelt theme
(we need to port the remaining contracts to v3). Another point is that I
want to base v3 on xhtml2 documents instead of xdocs. I am working ATM
on this.

> Since you
> are the primary (only?) person working on the views
> plugin would this create a merge challenge?

No, I am not the only one, maybe the most active, but without the
forrest dev community there would be no views. If you have subscribed to
the svn messages then you will find that shortly before I created v3
e.g. Cyriaque enhanced the v2 plugins.

Anyway no merge needed, should not have been a challenge but it would
have cost much more time. ;-)

> Just some random thoughts from a (mostly) reader of
> the dev list.

Cheers Mark.

salu2

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Thorsten,

I don't know how comfortable you are with subversion.
Wouldn't a branch be good for this?

I'm thinking, branch, hack, test, merge.  Since you

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: [HEADSUP] v2 will be not working anymore

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

--
Paul Bolger