Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by BeasC <cg...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/22 01:29:15 UTC

Tomcat is not rendering JSP content on Port 80

I can get Tomcat to render JSP content if I try to (for example) access the
JSP installation examples using http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp  But when
I try to try http://localhost/examples/jsp I get nothing but the raw html
code of the page (of a specific example).
I have an Apache - Tomcat server, and Apache is listening on port 80 (Which
is the default port used when accessing the server using its IP address.
Tomcat has the following code lines in its server.xml file, that I think
might serve as reference point to what I'm talking about:

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

and

<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Carl

Re: Tomcat is not rendering JSP content on Port 80

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

BeasC wrote:
> My intent is to have an Apache + JK + Tomcat server that uses apache only to
> service static web content and and sends all dynamic content to Tomcat (so
> that it handles all the JSP).  I downloaded and installed Apache 2.2, Tomcat
> 6.0, and J2SE 1.5 (Becuase j2se 1.6 was buggy and giving problems).  When
> initially configuring the server, I included the following lines in the
> Apache HTTPD.conf file:
>
> LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk-1.2.26-httpd-2.2.4.so

Apache 2.2 comes with mod_proxy as default. Either way, you must also
configure apache to use either mod_jk or mod_proxy.

You are trying to do this by using the 'auto config' mechanism in tomcat.

> and in Tomcat I included:
>
> <Listener className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig"
>  modJK="c:/apache/modules/mod_jk-1.2.26-httpd-2.2.4.so" />
>
> and
>
> <Listener className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig" append="true"
>  forwardAll="false"
>  modJK="c:/apache/modules/mod_jk-1.2.26-httpd-2.2.4.so" /

I personally have never used this and in the installations which I have
with Apache 2.2. I use mod_proxy so others may be able to help you more
here, but I still think that your problem is that your attempt to
service static documents with apache is overlapping with your attempts
to serve dynamic information from tomcat.

Have you checked that the workers.properties file is being created
correctly? What does it have in it?

You have explicitly set forwardAll to false, which is OK, but it also
means that you must configure apache NOT to look at the same folders
that you are using for tomcat. See the comment about noRoot and
forwardAll in the javadocs.

"Warning: When false, some configuration in the web.xml may not be
duplicated in Apache. Review the mod_jk conf file to see what
configuration is actually being set in Apache."

It would help if you could give us your folder layout and how you
expect that to map to your url structure.

> Basing most of the tutorials I have read about setting up this type of
> servers, I thought this steps were sufficient to enable the server to work
> in the above descirbed way.  It appears, however, that I am missing
> something...

Trouble with tutorials is that they are mainly created by people in
their spare time and they can't possibly cover every variation and
condition in a world where individual components of a project are
released on their own timescales and to meet their own objectives. I
always seem to find something doesn't quite work right when I try to do
it by rote from a tutorial and I end up debugging it myself, just using
the tutorial as a guide.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: BeasC [mailto:cgbeas@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat is not rendering JSP content on Port 80
>
> My intent is to have an Apache + JK + Tomcat server that uses
> apache only to service static web content and and sends all
> dynamic content to Tomcat (so that it handles all the JSP).

If all you're using httpd for is to serve static content, you're wasting
your time and creating much more complexity than you need.  Current
Tomcat versions don't need assistance for serving static content, other
than for heavy SSL traffic; in that case, use the APR connector and
OpenSSL - still much simpler than adding httpd to the mix.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Tomcat is not rendering JSP content on Port 80

Posted by BeasC <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.